It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replacement for AC-130U Spooky Gunship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Found this while looking through GlobalSecurity.Org

In late December 2001 a Department of Defense Program Budget Decision (PBD) called for purchasing at least eight additional AC-130U Spooky gunships, and initiating work on a possible replacement gunship aircraft. The PBD added funding to accelerate and fully fund an Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration for the AC(X) aircraft. The AC(X) could be either a further upgrade to the existing AC-130 an entirely new follow-on system. A formal procurement program for the AC(X) was expected to begin in Fiscal Year 2005 (FY05).

Special operators want the new gunship, or AC-X, to be much smaller than a C-130, with fewer crew members. They want it to be stealthy, with the speed and maneuverability of a long-range jet fighter. They want it equipped with directed energy weapons and non-lethal technologies, and it should be able to engage targets from any angle-above and below, front and back.

GlobalSecurity.Org

Emphasis Mine

At least Im going to be alive to see all this star wars technology get used on some poor country. Hopefully its not mine.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I always wondered what would be the gun ships replacement. Its getting up there in age, vietnam i believe was when the gunship was developed.

I know for a fact that they plan on putting lasers on the JSF as well as the Raptor to counter hostile threats from the air and ground.

Heres some interesting photos i came across in regards to the C130 and lasers.

join