It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Signs Law to Widen Legal Reach for Wiretapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Bush Signs Law to Widen Legal Reach for Wiretapping

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON, Aug. 5 — President Bush signed into law on Sunday legislation that broadly expanded the government’s authority to eavesdrop on the international telephone calls and e-mail messages of American citizens without warrants.

Congressional aides and others familiar with the details of the law said that its impact went far beyond the small fixes that administration officials had said were needed to gather information about foreign terrorists. They said seemingly subtle changes in...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 6-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This is a huge step in the move to surveil international communications. Likely to be challenged in the courts, the continued polarization of this program will become a key plank n the platforms for the upcoming 2008 Presidential Election.

For now, Big Brother is watching overseas... How long before they turn their gaze inwards?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Awww yea baby, give me some of that good old fashion police state dictator stuff.

Citizen ! Why do you complain ? We are from the government, we are only trying to keep you safe ! Papers please, papers ! Citizen, I must see your papers if you're going to pass. We do these things for your safety citizen.

Mirthful Me
For now, Big Brother is watching overseas... How long before they turn their gaze inwards?

You're day dreaming. The gaze has been turned inwards for a while now. Remember way back in the 70s when the government was infiltrating political groups ? Or before that when the government was infiltrating mass media organizations ? There are so many examples of this I don't feel the need to continue. The government has been looking inwards for a long time.

We are the enemy because
we are the only ones who can destroy them.

YOU are the target.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I love how the New York Times is complaining about this, when they are the entire reason why this law had to be passed. The President was using his executive wartime authority to do this secretly but the NYT in their infinite wisdom decided to expose it to the world and forced a partisan conflict that ended up in a need to change the law to explicitly allow it.

[edit on 8/6/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The President was using his executive wartime authority to do this secretly

And you just blindly accept this? Items like this need to be tabled so that people know what's going on. Governments, no matter what their crusade is, are for the people, not above the people.

brill

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act is being discussed here:
www.abovepolitics.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com... (closed thread)

Please post your thoughts in the earlier open thread.
Closed.

new topics

top topics

join