It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will they do with the prison inmates?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Going by history, which is the only precedent I can think of . . .

Most inmates are either released with no questions, or slaughtered en masse.

I'm thinking of the Bolshevik revolution, as well as the french, Spanish, Cuban, etc., and the end of WWII.

Generally, occupying governing powers attempt to sort out the violent offenders from the political prisoners, like the Union Army did when occupying the South on Sherman's march to the sea; problem is, every prisoner claims he "was on your side" and is political rather than a criminal detainee.

Mobs are much more likely (I'm guessing here) to just shoot everyone. Particularly since mobs are generally egged on or led by the most radical elements. This would be particularly true if a fascist or militarist uprising seized power---as the genuine representatives of the people's will, they'd claim to "clamp down on crime." Probably with a round-the-clock firing squad.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I think you could cut the number down by a wide margin.

First of all, a certain number would be non-violent types in for things like petty theft, soft drugs, burglary, white collar crimes, etc.... These would really be no more, or less violent than the guy next door under sit-x conditions. This is not to say that they would be harmless, but under sit-x conditions, neither is your next door neighbor in the burbs.

And then you have the long term convicts who are career criminals. Many of them will be out to settle scores with other convicts and selected parties, so under the "rules" of sit-x, they will kill off a good third (guess here) of there own type.

There will also be the drug crazies who will think of nothing except excessive use of whatever caused them to go down in the first place. These types are not survival oriented, and they would tend not to last very long under severe conditions and total freedom.

But there would be a core of hardened criminals that would both survive and thrive in an environment of chaos and little or no law. While I doubt that the number would be much higher than one-fourth of the total prison population, that group would be a serious threat to any and all that they encountered.

In the end, a person must trust no stranger until they show good cause to be trusted. I know that sounds harsh, but life will be harsh if such a day comes.

I was thinking of the same thing. That they will settle scores first. Many of them are indeed mentally ill and may not survive long anyhow. I think it will be crazy at first, but they will be eliminated.

It may not hurt to learn street survival. To know how criminals act and think. So you can spot them, or at least negotiate for survival. And how to protect yourself. While yes, the grocery bagger can become violent, they are less likely to have fight skills, strength, or ambition like a criminal. I think your first defense would be recongition. Most would have tattoos. recongize prison tattoos. Look up profiles, walking,talking,age,etc.
While criminals are very street smart, they won't have other knowledge. They may not be interested in other subjects, so a lack of knowledge in other areas would be a flag. Like previous politics,agendas, world happenings, etc.Or ask questions a prisoner would know.I bet a prison gaurd would be able to tell you what to look for.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjsteeler
Find an island and place all of the violent offenders there. You could give them books on how to grow crops and supplies etc... What they do with them from there is up to them. They are after all not fit to live in a civilized society.

Anyone see the movie No Escape with Ray Liotta?

Isn't that what happened in Austrailia? They turned out pretty well,not to mention a fun group.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Isn't that what happened in Austrailia? They turned out pretty well,not to mention a fun group.

Yup, but try and think of a massive almost uninhabited bit of land surrounded by sea and is a long way a way now a days. Only Antarcica left. Penguin meat any one?!

Not a bad idea tho, I don't necessarily mean the south pole, but as a population we could do with moving certain activities out of harms way - or even moving moving populations out of harms way. Use the labour available so as to forward the inmate as well as the general population.

Or we could place micro generators in the controls of the play stations their given and let them recharge the mobile phone they're not supposed to have

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Going by history, which is the only precedent I can think of . . .

Most inmates are either released with no questions, or slaughtered en masse.

I'm thinking of the Bolshevik revolution, as well as the french, Spanish, Cuban, etc., and the end of WWII.

Generally, occupying governing powers attempt to sort out the violent offenders from the political prisoners, like the Union Army did when occupying the South on Sherman's march to the sea; problem is, every prisoner claims he "was on your side" and is political rather than a criminal detainee.

Mobs are much more likely (I'm guessing here) to just shoot everyone. Particularly since mobs are generally egged on or led by the most radical elements. This would be particularly true if a fascist or militarist uprising seized power---as the genuine representatives of the people's will, they'd claim to "clamp down on crime." Probably with a round-the-clock firing squad.

Good points
History is usually the best resouce to consult when developing a possible scenario like this as it usually has a past example to provide for most any situation imagineable.

I would tend to believe that the inmates would have to be released, as mass execution would not be an option. In a doomsday scenario like this one, the manpower needed to carry out the executions of several million prisoners would not be available as guards and other employees would most likely abandon their posts to fend for their own families and save their own skins.

Secondly I can't imagine the resources would be available to carry out such a mass extermination. How would it be done? Certainly there would not be enough gun ammunition at hand to carry it out, and any ammo available would be worth it's weight in gold.

I have to believe that the only two options would be to A.) leave them locked up to starve or B.) release them all back into society. The thought of several million human beings (even if they are criminals) starving to a slow and painful death is horrible and awful to imagine. But on the other hand releasing that many violent, opportunistic offenders at once into the public streets would be damn near suicide for the regular folks trying to survive such an event.

If the government or NWO or some other organized body were responsible for the collapse then certainly such a large number of prison inmates would be a great source for recruiting more shock troops to use against the countries citizens, similar to what was mentioned that took place in Russia. But it would seem that they would be a big risk and difficult to control to say the least.

Whatever you may think, this countries enormous prison populous will not just go away, and should the spit ever hit the fan, they will have to be dealt with in one fashion or another. Pretty frightening concept either was you slice it.

Great thought provoking posts so far...very neat

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Remember Stephen King's 'The Stand'? Most of man wiped out by plague and the few inmates that didn't die of plague did in fact starve to death in prison. (Cept the one let out by the 'Walkin Dude'
)
Jules

top topics

<< 1   >>

join