It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problems with Christianity.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
First of all.. Who Wrote the Bible? Its a valid question considering 90% of Americans say they worship it including our government.

Why don't any of the men or women have last names?

Why wouldn't somebody in the world know where Jesus Christ was buried, I sincerely doubt the government against him would erase the records of him.

2,000 years ago is a very long time. But ecologically and astronomically it is really not. Humans have been making and keeping records since before christ. Why don't we have any literal evidence of him existing? Why don't we have records of any of these events other than in the bible?

Why do such miraculous tales of events happen to these extraordinary people and now god communicates with noone, and if you think that you do you are considered psychotic most of the time.

Why one prophet 2,000 years ago, and amongst all the violence in the world today not one single appearance to move the ways of mankind. Even appearing once in front of a congressmen or president would change the world! So why not now?

Churches have exploited the bible since it has been translated into English. That's right, Americanized. Mass published, most popular book of all time, funded a huge economical scale outweighing the rest of society. This huge economic influence deterred the way in which America Has grown because these people have become our politicians. Off the subject of politics, Christianity has been used and exploited by many priests to molest children. (I really doubt this was Jesus Christ's Intention)

With Christianity in this state of the world, and not a single appearance it must mean that they have given up on "earth". With the possible premonition of a nuclear war in which destroys every single one of us.

I believe that on some planets in our own galaxy evolve together instead of against each other. Somewhere this has fallen off of our values on the planet and its ME vs. YOU. We aren't all humans in the eyes of Christianity, and government.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by blowfishdl]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I thought about having a dialogue with you but your post is so filled with vitriol I doubt there's any chance of changing your mind.

I hope you're enjoying freethought, mr. freethinker.

Others, please don't post here...we'll just get more of the usual atheist vs. theist bs.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist

Others, please don't post here...we'll just get more of the usual atheist vs. theist bs.

Can't oblige you, sorry. This is a discussion forum, and discuss this people will. All you can do is not read it if you don't like it.

OP, I agree with you, none of it makes any sense to me. The Bible isn't in its original state as to language, even counting in translation, because of copying errors and censorship.

I've spent the four months I've been onboard here trying to understand my atheism and other people's faith, and haven't come to any conclusions yet.

Leads to some very interesting conversations, though. And some amusing ones, as well as aggravation because I see some points of view as being extremely backwards and archaic, completely out of place in the Information Age.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Religion is a bunch of crap - end of story really. And to people who say "Oh you people who dont have a faith are freethinkers, and they laugh out loud and roll their eyes" Well, heres a newsflash for you Walter Kronkite, you're wrong!

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Just amazimg really, how many pasages in the new testament quote almost verbatim, prior (and post!) works, and how many of the old and new testaments parrot much earlier works, such as the story of Ishtar (Easter), the great flood-etc ad nauseum. Heres something for you.

Constantine's intention at Nicaea was to create an entirely new god for his empire who would unite all religious factions under one deity. Presbyters were asked to debate and decide who their new god would be. Delegates argued among themselves, expressing personal motives for inclusion of particular writings that promoted the finer traits of their own special deity. Throughout the meeting, howling factions were immersed in heated debates, and the names of 53 gods were tabled for discussion. "As yet, no God had been selected by the council, and so they balloted in order to determine that matter... For one year and five months the balloting lasted..." (God's Book of Eskra, Prof. S. L. MacGuire's translation, Salisbury, 1922, chapter xlviii, paragraphs 36, 41).

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
Religion is a bunch of crap - end of story really. And to people who say "Oh you people who dont have a faith are freethinkers, and they laugh out loud and roll their eyes" Well, heres a newsflash for you Walter Kronkite, you're wrong!

Why do you have so much hatred towards religion? If you don't like
being religious and Atheism is working out for you, keeping your life
together then all the power to you.
I do not believe in Christianity really anymore, too much corruption,
greed and who knows what people wrote when they were translating
it. However, I do believe in a higher being. How else would this universe
be created? Scientists can't answer this one question, because there is no
answer.

In the end you end up with more questions then answers.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Originally posted by 3_Libras

Why do you have so much hatred towards religion? If you don't like
being religious and Atheism is working out for you, keeping your life
together then all the power to you.
I do not believe in Christianity really anymore, too much corruption,
greed and who knows what people wrote when they were translating
it. However, I do believe in a higher being. How else would this universe
be created? Scientists can't answer this one question, because there is no
answer.

In the end you end up with more questions then answers.

Scientists cant answer it, because there it no answer? Huh? Have scientist, as far as we know, come to end of knowledge? I might have been ignorant just before, but that statement is the same. Just because science doesnt know it,it doesnt mean there isnt an explanation aside from a "higher being"

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Ugh, I hope this thread doesn't go on. Look, it's purely a matter of opinion either way. There's stock arguments and counterarguments on both sides...neither sides will ever exactly "win" the debate...just read the positions on both sides and make up your freakin' mind.

Nothing to write here that hasn't been written a zillion times before.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Ugh, I hope this thread doesn't go on. Look, it's purely a matter of opinion either way. There's stock arguments and counterarguments on both sides...neither sides will ever exactly "win" the debate...just read the positions on both sides and make up your freakin' mind.

Nothing to write here that hasn't been written a zillion times before.

You are absolutely right.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The problem is that corruption, abuse and dishonest greed of evils in our histories have left us with a sour taste in our mouth when religion is mentioned. I personally believe in Jesus Christ, but in religion, No. Not at all. And I do believe that the Bible is a very credible and important source of history, so long as you take it all in different tones. Sometimes it's literal, sometimes parady, metaphor,ect.
What it really boils down to is having complete belief in your own intelligence and ethical foundations, and a self confidence in the strength of spiritual connections in the prescences around, and within you

new topics

top topics

join