It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommended routers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm in the market for a new LAN router with wireless capability, and more than 4 wired ports. I will be using this router for downloading torrents from time to time using Azureus, so I need something that is not included on this list of routers with known problems downloading with Azureus.

Anyone have any recommendations?

(Edit - Grammar)

[edit on 8/2/2007 by HCLogo]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well i dont know why the wrt54g is on that list. Mine has been using azureus, otherwise now known as vuse, fine for 3.5 yrs now but the too many connections thing isnt really a problem for me anyways so no biggie. But then again, its no ordinary wrt and hasnt been for a year or so. Turned that 65 dollar bad boy into a 500 dollar radio with THIS SOFTWARE.

Be careful when you use it. You run the risk of making a brick out of your router. And if your gonna crank up the output wattage, make sure you have some good cooling on it. With my orinico card i can make it about 350-500 feet with only about 40db signal noise even with tree interference. Most onboards in laptops will hit 65-80 at 150-200+ feet(cant talk at that level).

Ive always had good luck with the older gen linksys routers so im a creature of habit. You can pick one up on ebay with the 16mb ram(good for reprogramming) cheap. I run azureus, RDC and FTP from mine with zero problems. Good luck on your shopping in whatever you decide. Let us know what you get and how its workin for ya.

Silver

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Well i dont know why the wrt54g is on that list. Mine has been using azureus, otherwise now known as vuse, fine for 3.5 yrs now but the too many connections thing isnt really a problem for me anyways so no biggie.

The one I have now is a wrt54gs, and I've been having issues with it too. Not only that though, I need more wired ports too, my LAN has expanded a bit.

I checked out the site for that software. Looks interesting. Turns your home router into a long range AP right?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
As far as wireless routers go, there's no beating the Belkin N1 router. It has the best range I've ever seen, and it's extremely reliable. I use it at all of my users' homes. However, it's only got 4 ports. I get around that by adding a simple hub to the router any time I need t expand.

^ here's an example of the wireless range provided by the N1.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Sounds like a great router, however the extra ports are a "must have" for me. Thanks for pointing that particular router out though, I may have some clients to recommend it to.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
As far as wireless routers go, there's no beating the Belkin N1 router.

I agree, that is what I am using.

Really great range. I can use my laptop in the neighbor's yard!!!!

*spelling

[edit on 4-8-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I'm a heavy torrent user seeding many *NIX torrents (10-100) and I'm using a Linksys WRVS4400N. Works great except a very annoying "schhhhhh" sound.

Features include:

* Gigabit ethernet switch
* Gigabit WAN port - throughput 800Mbit/s

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bracke
Ah. Didn't see you needed more than 4 wired ports. I'm sorry but that won't be easy to find unless you look for heavy company use routers.Just use a switch like I do.

I'm starting to realize that. I'll probably just make do with a 4-port, but I'm looking around to see if there's a good +4 port option first

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
HC unless you get into the Higher end business ones, like the $500+ Cisco stuff, You will be hard pressed to find one with more than 4 ports. I use an 8 port gigabit switch connected to one port on my router. that way all internal traffic gets routed via the switch then web traffic is external. Makes it nice when running multiple PC's with gigabit connections.

And in reference to your question to me above, yes the software modification gives it tremendously more functionality. Turning it into a high end Radio instead of a wussy AP.

Happy Hunting.

Silver

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I use a Cisco 1200 series AP. Sure they are expensive but from a security standpoint one of the best available. One poster mentioned an 800Mb WAN port. What's the point? Unless you've somehow manged to get OC-X piped thru your home your bottlenecked here by standard conventions. Most DSL/Cable connections are capped at about 10MB/s. Having that type of LAN capacity is different though.

brill

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm setting up a 1.5 Mbps MPLS connection at my CEO's summer house. It's around $800 per month, and completely unnecessary, but the guy's got a billion dollars, and likes toys.

Plus we're piping his phone system through a Toshiba PBX and back through the office because he says it sounds a little fuzzy.

It's good to be da king

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'm setting up a 1.5 Mbps MPLS connection at my CEO's summer house. It's around $800 per month, and completely unnecessary, but the guy's got a billion dollars, and likes toys.

Plus we're piping his phone system through a Toshiba PBX and back through the office because he says it sounds a little fuzzy.

It's good to be da king

You'd get those rates thru standard DSL/cable though, although its asymetric. You could still get a T1 for less with the same ability but if money is being thrown around what does it matter.

brill

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We only decided on the MPLS because we could bump it up as far as we needed without a completely new installation. One of our sites is at 4Mbps, and he may want his home to go as high as that one day.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
I use a Cisco 1200 series AP. Sure they are expensive but from a security standpoint one of the best available. One poster mentioned an 800Mb WAN port. What's the point? Unless you've somehow manged to get OC-X piped thru your home your bottlenecked here by standard conventions. Most DSL/Cable connections are capped at about 10MB/s. Having that type of LAN capacity is different though.

brill

I don't know about where you live but here we have 100/100Mbit connections. Some have 1Gb/1Gb and those with the previous mentioned ones will get their connections upgraded. Most good routers with 100/100 WAN ports often have througput at 80-90Mb and that's not enough even for a 100/100Mb fiber connection that I have now. You'll need at least 200Mb throughput. There is a D-Link that can acheive that and the Cisco one of course.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bracke

Originally posted by brill

brill

I don't know about where you live but here we have 100/100Mbit connections. Some have 1Gb/1Gb and those with the previous mentioned ones will get their connections upgraded. Most good routers with 100/100 WAN ports often have througput at 80-90Mb and that's not enough even for a 100/100Mb fiber connection that I have now. You'll need at least 200Mb throughput. There is a D-Link that can acheive that and the Cisco one of course.

I'm familiar with rates, are you referring to residential or business services? I don't think there are too many residential services offering 1GB though.

brill

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The wrt54g is a good choice for the money. Another benefit to this router is that since the linksys firmware falls under the GNU license there are several firmwares to choose from that will give your $50 router capabilities of higher end routers for free. **Warning** if you do try to upgrade the firmware to one of these (exp. DD-WRT) read the directions very carefully .If you loose power during upgrade or miss a step you can brick your router.

[edit on 17-9-2007 by rootlevelaccess]

top topics

join