It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread closed. Please contribute to the existing discussion.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of imposing a penalty for creating a duplicate post. Most of the time it is caused by an honest mistake, and a point penalty is a negative enforcer. A better solution would be to automatically direct any duplicate threads to the original thread, with maybe an auto-generated message that the re-direct was done.

The search function doesn't always work because of poorly stated thread titles. Seriously, some thread titles are ridiculous, and it's a real guessing game to determine what the subject of the thread is by reading the title. You're actually penalizing Person B for Person A's poorly created thread title. Doesn't sound fair to me.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
We had three news threads (in the same forum) on the topic of levitation today.

It's obvious people are not looking before posting.

Doing so can go a long way to solving this "problem" that is in fact created by members.

I posted one of those duplicate threads on accident, and I used the search. Nothing came up. The tags on that thread at the time were please see link for full artic, and now someone has added levitation.

The search doesn't work as well when people don't tag properly.:bnghd: Maybe a point per tag might encourage more people to contribute.

[edit on 8/7/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
You need to remove the attraction of getting the duplicate thread thrown up there by instituting a penalty to recoup the points gotten from throwing that duplicate thread up there without verifying that it is an original discussion.

See... but that doesn't work.

MSNBC posts a new article at 12:05.

Two people view it and decide to move it over to the ATS server.

One pulls a 'get er done" and has it up by 12:07

One puts more time into it and has it up by 12:09

Is the second thereby at fault for duplicating? No.

Every other forum I post at merges threads... what is it about ATS's forum software that makes such impossible?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I don't think merge is a viable option for ATS, but SkepticOverloard is better able to answer the technical aspects of this.

Skeptic... you out there?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join