It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not affaid of Grandpa huh?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is a feel good story from the Toronto Sun

A scrappy senior is being hailed a hero for being able to cane two crooks, one of whom was wielding a knife, and put an end to a drugstore robbery in Oshawa.

It was a situation that would leave most 64-year-olds severely shaken, but not Roy Dixon, who has trained in various martial arts since he was just a child.

"I heard those women screaming and I just reacted," the fit grandfather said yesterday at his home in Whitby, muscles in his forearms rippling as he gripped a cane in his massive hands to demonstrate how he took care of the first of two thieves Monday.

64 years old, in shape and able to take care of 2 thieves with canes? It's a testament not only to his physical shape, but also to his audacity. Older doesn't mean incapable.

I loved this part:

He then held him at bay until police arrived.

"He told (the robber) to sit on the floor with his head down and his eyes closed, like a 3-year-old," Sgt. Paul McCurbin said, explaining the crook initially refused but after a few more whacks he was happy to oblige.

"When officers arrived and put him in handcuffs, he looked up at Dixon and asked, "Is it okay if I get up now, sir?" McCurbin said.

Shows what you can do if you live a healthy lifestyle. Mind you I wouldn't recommend ANYONE doing this.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yep your right, people should be careful of being a hero just to protect a few bucks. People in this world would kill people for 10pence.

I never understand why if people want money, why can't they just goto work.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Wow ... this combined with the story of the 70+ year old ex US Marine who beat the living daylights out of TWO 20 something robbers is very very impressive.

Ill think about this the next time im at the mall and some old person in front of me is walking about a foot an hour and im getting angry lol.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Now this is a true MAN. It is rare to hear of one man doing what he did. It is always a group of "MEN".

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Old people are bafflingly strong when you put them to the test. I don't know why, they just are. Obviously most 70 year olds are pretty frail and some even have trouble just walking, but anyone's 50 or 60 year old dad/uncle could outpower you any day... it's just a weird law of nature

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the smile, Intrepid. It's too bad that there aren't more people like him. Sadly, he's literally of a dying breed. At least that's how it looks these days if you pay attention to mainstream infotainment.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yeah, don't underestimate senior citizens!

Here's a senior with a nice right hook -- Astronaut Buzz Aldrin of Apollo 11 fame:

The incident took place at Beverly Hills hotel in 2002, as Buzz was on his way to an interview. Aldrin was 72 years old at the time of the video.

More information about the event can be found here: www.space.com...

top topics

join