It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smallpox vaccine - protection for how long?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Okay this really isn't a debating type of issue, but I was curious as to know, How long does a smallpox vaccine protect you for?

I recieved a smallpox vaccine in the early 70's and I wonder if there is any sort of protection still left?

Medically speaking....Would I ever be able to get another one, if let's say the gov't starts offering them to the general public in response to an epidemic or something.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think vaccines wear out over the course of many years, that's why "Boosters" are given. I'd doubt that your vaccination offers any protection, as old as it is (I'm not trained in this sort of thing though, so I might be wrong).

Mutations can also render antibiotics/vaccines invalid. I don't know how quickly smallpox mutates, though.

Sure, I think you might be able to get another one, providing all the up-and-up's had theirs and so did the military, M.D.'s, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about smallpox too much. There are probally much worse things out there.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
hey thanks Juanbond for replying...and for your opinion. much appreciated.

and yeah I know I have much more to worry about than smallpox but I was curious....since I don't know many other people who have recieved the smallpox vaccine.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
according to WHO the vaccine for smallpox only lasts a decade

"Vaccination usually prevents smallpox infection for at least ten years."

www.who.int...

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by thedarkprojekt]

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
thanks for the great link darkproject

gave me all the info I needed.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
the small pox vaccine doesn't offer much in the way of protection in the first place, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I just recently got my immunization.. got stuck with a lancet 3 times in my arm. On a persons second immunization you get stuck 15 times.

top topics

join