It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite the web, Americans remain underinformed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
An interesting news item from WIRED:

More than a decade after the Internet went mainstream, the world's richest information source hasn't necessarily made its users any more informed. A new study from the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press shows that Americans, on average, are less able to correctly answer questions about current events than they were in 1989. Citizens who call the Internet their primary news source know slightly less than fans of TV and radio news. Hmmm... maybe a little less Perez Hilton and a little more Jim Lehrer.

I must not get a lot of information from the web. I had no idea who "Perez Hilton" was.

In any case, if you think people are becoming less well informed, you're right. The difference in the stats between 1980 and now are really rather sad.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think the problem with the net and other electronic media is that you might get information on lots of topics but the information really isnt that indepth, mile wide and inch deep type of situation.

For true knowledge you really have to research and alot of what is on the electronic media isnt that well researched but people take as truth because like TV back in the day its the primary source of info.

new topics

join