It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First UK Typhoons on active service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

TextThe first squadron of the RAF's new Eurofighter aircraft has begun active service at a base in Lincolnshire.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Long overdue,the Typhoon starts service at RAF Conninsby.I wonder how long it will take the RAF to fit a much needed gun?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
actually the Typhoon went `live` a few years ago - the `news` you posted was the use of the typhoon for the QRA - and they do have a gun on them actually and as of 2006 in a very public telegraph article stated they will be fully used.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
i covered it here
with a video aswell

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Saw some flying over lake windermere a good few weeks back awsome sight.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
as of june 2007 the RAF field 3 squadrons and building the 4th (number 11 ground attack) - they have 43 aircraft in service.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well here is another link with some more info on the start of active service.
www.flightglobal.com...

Two Typhoons are now on standby at RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, to respond to airspace intrusions or hostile aircraft movements, after assuming their new duty on 29 June.
The aircraft will alternate with the RAF's Panavia Tornado F3 force in providing QRA cover from Coningsby until late this year, when they are expected to assume the role permanently. The Typhoon will be armed with MBDA ASRAAM and Raytheon AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles in the interceptor role.

Awesome to see the typhoon stepping up and can't wait till we see a squad with some activite wartime experince and how the typhoon stands up true battle testing.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Oops,I mised that Daily Telegraph article(I'm more a Guardian reader)
The link I posted is about the first RAF Squadronstarting active service.
I am just hoping the u-turn by the RAF about using the gun also applies to the air to air role aircraft.I would'nt like history to repeat itself like with the Phantoms in Vietnam.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by Muffinresearch]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2006/10/03/ntyph03.xml

well the desicion was made after 1) the airframe was designed to carry a gun and would imbalance it by removing it and 2) the slamming of the harrier GR7 in afghan for CAS without a gun.

[edit on 12/7/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

The link I posted is about the first RAF Squadronstarting active service

That may be what the link is about, but the actual story is that the first Typhoons have progressed to QRA duties, as was said before, the Typhoon has been in RAF service for a few years now, working up IOC, and 3 and 11 Sqns's are in service with 6 Sqn set to join them next year. These were preceded by 29 and 17 Sqns which are the training units, thats four squadrons equipped, with the fifth coming along.

I am just hoping the u-turn by the RAF about using the gun also applies to the air to air role aircraft.

Its going to have to, there are no separate A2A and A2G versions of the Typhoon, they are all F.2's but they are swing role, being fully A2A and A2G capable, all Typhoon squadrons will share QRA duties on rotation. So yes, they do all have working guns.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well thats cleared that up for me.
Many thanks for all your prompt replies

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Your welcome, and thanks for the link
The way the media portrays stories about aircraft like that Typhoon can be a little unfortunate at times, but at least the BBC is nowhere near as bad as some of the tabloids

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
as of june 2007 the RAF field 3 squadrons and building the 4th (number 11 ground attack) - they have 43 aircraft in service.

Does than number include training squadron(s) or just active squadrons? Also, isn't 14 aircraft per squadron a bit low or is that the norm for the RAF?

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Standard RAF squadron strength is normally 12 to 16 aircaft for combat squadrons and yes, that total does include the two training units. Total Typhoon deliveries recently passed 100 aircraft but of course the line is supplying four air forces simultaneously (now five with the Austrian ones)

top topics

join