It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sport's ugliest moments ranked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   

1 Ben Johnson
THE man who nearly brought a sport down. Johnson's 9.79 second "world record" in the 1988 Olympic 100 metres final in Seoul was a stunning moment, but the second-placed Carl Lewis's look of disbelief spoke volumes, and within 24 hours the truth had been revealed after he tested positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid. Johnson went into hiding and a sport went into mourning. Fifteen years after the race, it emerged that Lewis also had tested positive for drugs that season.

2 Mike Tyson
IN his 1997 rematch with Evander Holyfield in Las Vegas, Tyson, by then a man out of control, bit chunks out of both of Holyfield's ears, and part of one lobe was found on the ring later. The fight was stopped at the end of the third round and Tyson disqualified. He was fined $US3 million ($3.5m) and had his licence revoked but was allowed to return a year later.

source

I cant think of any incidents that I would add to the list and there isnt anything that I would remove from the list. Feel free to add your own worst moment in sport and to discuss the events listed.
NZ in particular just wont let go of number 19 on the list the infamous underarm bowl.

[edit on 8-7-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
No mention of ZiZu and his flying headbutt. That has to be the worst, seen be billions of people on live TV all over the world. During what is auguably the worlds premier sporting event, let's be honest more people watch football than any other sport!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I was fascinated by #47 on that list...I'd never heard of this incident, but I think it should have been a top 10:

The Spanish Men's Basketball team takes gold in the 2000 PARALYMPICS. Their secret weapon? 10 out of their 12 players had NO DISABILITIES whatsoever!!

That's ugly.

new topics

join