It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornish (and Scottish and Welsh) Freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Surely what the Cornish, and the Scots and Welsh, are only too eager to forget is that they all exist on massive subsidies from the English, who are getting absolutely fed up with v. high taxation being spent on them.

Perhaps they should all be reminded that if you demand to go your own way, you should also pay your own way.

Also, if they think that massive subsidies will continue from the EU (should they ever get their so-called 'freedom'), those subsidies will peter out once massive (and poorer) countries like Turkey join. Funds will be needed then to built up the infrastructure of newly joined countries.

As for me, I've been hoping for total devolution for ages as England would be far, far richer without them and could then spend the money raised mainly in the south east on the south east, instead of on these whingers. However, that won't happen as the Labur government have been using English money to buy their votes for ages.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I think what people forget is that we're all the same people, who have been living together in these islands for at least 10,000 years.

Why fight over a brief period in which for reasons largely outside of our control we became temporarily divided?

The only difference between the English, Welsh, Cornish, Irish or Scottish is the part of Britain in which we were born - an act of course over which none of us have any control anyway.

One might as well argue for the Midlands to get independence because we too used to be a separate kingdom (Mercia).

United we stand, divided we fall .....

(I blame the Romans myself
)

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   

The only difference between the English, Welsh, Cornish, Irish or Scottish is the part of Britain in which we were born - an act of course over which none of us have any control anyway.

That being so, maybe the English could start speaking in Welsh or Gaelic ?

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson

That being so, maybe the English could start speaking in Welsh or Gaelic ?

whoah hold your horses, I can just about speak English properly

new topics

top topics

join