It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Card probs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Hello all

Ill get straight to it
While i was browsing the net my pc froze for about 5 seconds and restarted
Upon trying to reboot the pc no image appeared on the moniter
Also 2 of my 3 case fans stopped working while the main fan slowed down a fair bit
So i hauled it down to the local computer store to see if it could be repaired
My video card is a nvidia 7800 gt(2 years old) so i need a dvi to vga adapter to connect it to my moniter, however i never gave the computer store the adapter and hense the fella could not use my card to figure out what the problem might be, but he charged me 50 euros anyways >.<
After i got it home i rooted out a real old nvidia 2 m something, VERY OLD card and at least now i can get on the internet, but cant play most of my games
Anyways i was wondering what could be causing the problem is it my video card?, the dvi adapter? or is it my power supply that is at fault? (the reason i suspect the power supply is the 2 fans stop working, although after fiddling with it for a while i got them going again) I really hope its not the card cause at the moment i cant afford to buy a new one
Hope someone can help and if you need me to post anymore info no problem

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Sounds like a power problem. Possibly you have a short in your power supply. If a video card just went out, it wouldn't shut down the computer. You would just loose your display. This power issue probably trashed your video card and you're probably lucky to still be able to use the PC. You could try re-installing the video card drivers and putting it back in but it's probably gone for good. Good thing you had a back up card.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
hmmm ill try that tomorrow
hopefully it will work but i doubt it

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
yea, like what the other guy said, sounds like a psu problem, I mean fans dont stop if its a vid card prob. Any way, hope it all works out fine nods.

-fm

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Didnt work, so i will have to get a new card, ill save up and get the 8800 gt altogether, but will i need to get a new power supply?

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That could be much cheaper than buying a new PC in the future. Then again, it may work for years. You just don't know about these things. Personally if I had doubts, I'd replace it before putting a $200 card in there. Power supplies aren't that expensive compared to a video card.

www.tigerdirect.com...

top topics

join