It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should a 'modern day' survival kit contain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Hi

I have a read a lot of threads, which seem to be pointing at some sort of Doomsday Scenario, that being, that we are going to be hit with some type of major disater, which will leave the once plush and vibrant terrain, into a barren wasteland.

I have seen this type of comment when people talk about Weather, 2012, Planet X, NWO, Alien Invasion, The war on terrorism, State Police, and a plethora of others, and each time, people discuss surviving without the government, FEMSA, Global Aid Agencies, or any other support.

It seems to boil down to ..."the proverbial has hit the fan, RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!"... A tad dramatic I know, but it seems that we should be preparing for any inevitable and cataclysmic disaster.

Well, it seems to me, prudent to investigate what exactly a survival kit should consist of.

I mean I can't go running to the nearest Army Surplus Store and buy all products in the hope that one or two might come in handy, nor could I carry all the heavy equipment if I did need to 'run'!

So what would be the correct size for a survival kit, and what would you consider to be key essentials?

This may seem obvious to some, but I bet we will see many different points, and recommendations of what to put in to the modern day survival kit, what I would like to do, is to have a survival kit that would be light, yet packed with essential items, or several of these kits, with different contents for each person carrying it - a distribution of weights if you will.

I have seen lots of contributors who could lend their experience camping, or in the army, or just reading up on it.

Also, as part of survival measures, should I be looking for a cave, should it be stocked up? if, with what? Will my mobile phone work if there is EMP interference what other communicatiosn could be used? Should twinkies be included in the foodstuff? Does my kit depend on the terrain, or can it 'all purpose'

I hope you could throw some ideas into this survival 'kit bag' and see what we end up with...

Many Thanks for your input.

[edit on 26/6/2007 by deaman88]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This is/has always been the MUST HAVES for me. I would double emphasise the number one on the list.

1. Battery powered AM/FM radio. (alot of spare batteries)
2. Torch (alot of spare batteries, helps if torch and radio use the same)
3. Waterproof matches (alot)
4. Deck of Cards (doomsday will get boring
lol)

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wow, in my opinion, this is a great topic to explore.

I have had similar thoughts. All of the chatter going on brings about the questions: So, what do we do? How do we prepare? What should I make sure that I have? How much should I have? How long should I prepare for?

I hope that some of the brilliant minds on this fourm will reply with some useful suggestions, and that it doesn't turn into a kiss your A$$ good bye thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
A good place to start would be the beginning of the ATS survival forums because this has all been discussed a million time. before Look over that then reformulate your question.

However I understand there is a ton of data to go thru and a ton of new people arriving daily so that being said I point you to Survival terminioligy on the ATS survival forums

The reason I do this is simple. To survive you have to think survival. To think survival you have to talk survival to help you formulate the proper questions in a way every body understands. By the way what you call a survival kit is Most often referred to as a BOB AKA Bug Out Bag. I understand this doesn't answer your question but it will help you in the long run figure out what is best for your situation. Ware you might be heading has a whole lot to do with whats put in the BOB.

Also heading for the hills is talked about a lot but your best bet is always hunkering down at home when ever possible

As for twinkies be included in the foodstuff? I say no eat them first

Its my bet that you will be able to find twinkies a long time from when ever those things dont go bad. Life with out twinkies is no life at all

[edit on 26-6-2007 by angryamerican]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
HI, Thanks so far, for your responses, what makes me think about them is this, there may be useful tools, but what if I didn't have flints, or other such stuff? what if I was running with certain key provisions? I might not have the time to buy these things, I suppose, I would then ask "what everyday household objects could be useful, if I had to run and escape, until I met with the guys from the Survival threads?!!!

I think you need Twinkie Bars, what if you don't meet a soul for days? you need some love.

[edit on 26/6/2007 by deaman88]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
A "modern" survival kit should include some sort of armored portable computer (laptop,notebook, e-book reader or pda) and some way of recharging the battery. You could carry a substantial survival library of hundreds possibly thousands of books necessary to establish a new community.

A portable short-wave/am/fm receiver would also be very useful to keep up with news from the outside world.

top topics

join