It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the hoaxes? If they are in fact hoaxes...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It appears that there has been a huge uptick in those claiming to have insider information lately. It is my opinion as it is probably the opinion of most here that these individuals are hoaxsters. If these individuals are hoaxsters, why are they hoaxing? Are they a part of a coordinated effort? If they are not hoaxsters, what is motivating so many high level people to come forward at the present? Is there a possibility that they would be visited with negative consequences by those who do not want them coming forward?

Thoughts?

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
People hoax because they want to get one over. It's been going on forever, long before the internet -- think Piltdown Man.

For whatever reasons, be it attention craving, a wish to stir the pot, or something more sinister -- I have heard a few rumors about concerted attacks on ATS -- at it's base, it boils down to 1) people with large egos that need stroking, 2) people that have absolutely nothing better to do than mess with other people.

Some people find hoaxes to be harmless practical jokes. Other people, usually the butt of the jokes, do not.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Some people find hoaxes to be harmless practical jokes. Other people, usually the butt of the jokes, do not.

I don't think I fall into either of these camps. My personal opinion is that hoax threads are eyesores and are equivalent to spam.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There are people who question just what is going on, and there are people who believe what they are told to believe.

Those who believe what they are told to believe want to prove those that question everything wrong, so they hoaxe and hope to point out how those that question can't be right cause they will fall for anything.

Just a matter of perspective. We want to find something that will prove us right, they want to convince the world we are crazy.

So they hoaxe.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
There are people who question just what is going on, and there are people who believe what they are told to believe.

Those who believe what they are told to believe want to prove those that question everything wrong, so they hoaxe and hope to point out how those that question can't be right cause they will fall for anything.

Just a matter of perspective. We want to find something that will prove us right, they want to convince the world we are crazy.

So they hoaxe.

I agree that it is likely that at least some hoaxers have this as a motivation.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
..... My personal opinion is that hoax threads are eyesores and are equivalent to spam.

Ahhh, yes to some extent.......but they are also good practice for spotting hoaxes in general. The more chances I get to see a hoax picked apart with intelligent questions and referenced facts, the better prepared I am to see through the next one.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
First there is a wave a hoax threads....

Then a wave of why is there so many hoax threads...

Then another wave of threads asking why hoaxers are banned...

Whats next?

[edit on 24/6/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
What I find depressing and annoying about hoaxers is their lack of imagination, that and the assumtion that all "conspiracy nuts" can't possibly be able to argue a point.
Hoaxers are willing to throw an initial post into the ring, more than likely without an awful lot of forethought, and start getting shirty when their story is picked apart. You can almost hear the strained attempts at staying focused as their post disintegrates. Guys and girls, we actualy do have informed opinions here on ATS. If you're gonna try and trick us, for what ever reason, why not think it through and at least make the discussion interesting?

(Ok, that sounds like an encouragement for hoaxers; believe me it's not. If it were down to me, I'd try and ban it).

Just a thought to finish. Thank goodness a good writer hasn't decided to perpetrate a hoax here. With a planned, well researched and totally thought out plot and story line involving real facts and places to back it up, how the heck could he/she be spotted?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The best explanation I have heard so far is,Its summer, kids are out of school and bored.So why not have some fun and mess with peoples minds!I agree it is childish and immature.But then again they ARE children and immature.
Just wanted to add:What if the real thing does come along and no one believes it due to all these hoaxes?
edit:content

[edit on 25-6-2007 by crowpruitt]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
some people do it because they got nothing better to do or they do it for fun or to annoy us you always get people like this the good old hoaxers been round for generations

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

I don't think they are "harmless jokes" at all. I think they are actually designed to deter attention from real things and make it easier for "debunkers" to claim that since "exhibit a" was a hoax that must mean "exhibit b,c" and "d" must be a hoax as well.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
My take on it is that they want to be respected or even 'feared' because of the supposed information that they claim to have.

Basically, they're a bunch of attention seekers who have such low self esteem that they need to make themselves feel better by pulling one over our eyes.

I say anyone that hoaxes should be immediately banned. Sure, they may have something interesting to say outside of their hoax, but is anyone really going to care if they've been named and shamed?

No, of course not.

top topics

join