It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the event of Disclosure..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I personally would be pleased if disclosure did happen. But I really dont think the rest of the world would be ready. Infact they are far, far from it. It would cause chaos. So many people live in a "box" of sorts, and something as mind blowing as the government saying aliens are real would seriously make people go crazy. Really! Even if an alien waved at someone in their face, if they dont want it to be real, they will convince themself it is not. If disclosure happened, some people would beleive it, but so many others would convince themselves otherwise simply because they are not ready for it. We'd really be where we are now, just more confused then ever.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
As a Native American, I think our history has some bearing on just how such an event would effect people, because in a flash every human would be in the same position as were my ancestors.

The first reaction would be wonder and curiosity. What marvels do these travelers know of? Next would come trade, their shiny beads for our whatever. And last would come domination.

And domination comes in many guises, so it need not be the 'enslavement of Earth' scenario. Domination can be way more subtle than that, but it always makes the person on the bottom feel smaller and of less worth.

Our lives may not change so much on the day to day, but our feelings of self worth may take a beating. When Plymouth Colony was founded, these new settlers were a wonder, but life went on; fish were caught, homes built, canoes were carved, and marriages performed. Yet down inside, the Natives were seeing these 'Newpeople', and comparing.

And the 'Newpeople' were seeing the Natives, and deciding that it would be a waste of resources to not change things a bit. A great many things that have made the culture of Native Americans hard to maintain, were done with the thought that it was a favor to a slightly backward people. We were almost helped to extinction.

I would hope that this is a good time for a meeting between humans and 'Others', for now we are progressed enough to understand the difference between science and magic (none except time) and yet there are enough of us close to history to recall just how disastrous this meeting could be without great caution.

Alcahol was and is a great problem for Native Americans. What petty vice could these others bring? Addiction to a virtual reality? A substance? Even a suicide cult? Many things could be the rock on which humanity might wreck. It will be one we don't expect is my guess.

But for a race to go to the stars, this hurdle MUST be overcome. If we are destined for the depths of the Universe, then somewhere first contact must come. I would rather that we went to meet them, as this would give us a more equal standing, rather than as the backwater rednecks we will be if they come here. But such a choice is not likely.

Changes? Yes, there will be many, but they will most likely be very slow to happen. I remember my father shooting a deer with a pistol. He moved towards the deer only when the animal was busy grazing, and froze each time it looked up. Soon he was close enough to kill it with only a .38 slug to the head.

My father told me, as we skinned the animal, "It is not enough to watch for the moves that threaten you, but for the position as well." In the coming (someday) meeting between us and another species, we must remember to watch how we are positioned in relation to them, and to know that the changing of positions, for good or bad, is a slow dance that can lead to sudden death.

NGC2763, I have to say that is one of the most erudite and informed replies in this thread so far (including mine :lol
Only your ancestors treatment at the hand of the 'Newpeople' can give such insight. You must be feeling, as do I, somewhat concerned about possible public alien contact, and rightly so.

And nisurastar, I can only agree when you said... 'If disclosure happened, some people would beleive it, but so many others would convince themselves otherwise simply because they are not ready for it. We'd really be where we are now, just more confused then ever.'

...as the last thing we need is for our aggresive, paranoid world to become even more confused. We can only hope that the collective human psyche is capable of being strong enough to face one of the the single most important events in our history.

Because if we can't, what would the consequences be?

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thank you Beamish, I am glad you found my post to have substance.

I try to seriously consider such questions, because only a fool says that what has never happened never can.

I expect that contact will cause great excitement, and great debate. But all of this will simmer along while normal life goes on.

What we must watch for, even tell our children and grandchildren to watch for is decay. We cannot allow that, for it will be fatal for our species. My people are still fighting on the long road back to self worth. You will see my voice in many places speak to such matters.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
My people are still fighting on the long road back to self worth. You will see my voice in many places speak to such matters.

All strength to you and your people, and long may your voice be heard.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
NGC2736 you said something that I was going to include in my first reply, but i didn't cause sometimes emotions are frawn upon in this site, as if it overshadow facts and reason. But i will concur with what you said. I will rather see my children have at least some kind of normal life like the one I had the chance of living, rather than living it in fear of a world turn to chaos cause some other races from some other planet might come here with plans of extermination, conquest or even assimilation.

I rather be cautious in this disclosure situation than sorry.

[edit on 26-6-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I'm of the opinion that disclosure has happened already, and that only those capable of hearing and seeing with unfiltered senses can see the truth. There is an interesting group of people that have been actively communicating and preparing for communication with the varioius alien races that pass by our dust mote.

ECETI FAQ

It is a very enlightened read.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join