It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head-to-toe Muslim veils test tolerance of stridently secular Britain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
What I do want to discuss is the rather self-confident declaration of some of those on this thread that "Islam does not require the burqa". But how can you be so sure? How do you know that your interpretation of Islam is the correct one? I am not a Muslim, but as a Christian who belongs to a smaller sect (Churches of Christ), it is my opinion that no one should force their beliefs thru law on others when one does not have definative proof that their beliefs are "correct", whatever that is supposed to mean.

What you consider to be "a self confident declaration" also happens to be the truth.

Contrary to Christianity where the Bible has been openly and heavily edited over the years, the Koran is "as written", hence why English translations are not considered canon in Islam.

The Koran states that BOTH men and women should dress modestly, and goes further into detail as to what this means. Basically, it is covering the flesh between the ankles and the neck. It makes no mention of public covering of the head and face. although it does require the covering of the head during prayer.

EDIT: I might add the concept of Hijab as it is seen now did not appear until the late 19th Century.

[edit on 22/6/07 by stumason]

<< 1   >>

join