It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Is Your Favorite Rock Band?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I have to go back to my metal roots and

take Metallica.

Then Id pick Van Halen, Led Zep, and the Cars

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I think there are too many good rock bands (and musicians in general) out there to choose just one. But, anyone who has ever read some of my posts in certain threads knows that I have an affinity for Guns N' F'n Roses. I have listened to so much music over the years and I still can't quite find a rock band (or musicians in general) that can top GNR. Axl Rose is probably the greatest lyricist to have come around in the music world. Don't believe me? Listen to Use Your Illusion I and II all the way through. Listen to the lyrics. There is some amazing stuff there. And it's not just the lyrics, it's the music too. Incredible stuff.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Steven (on Appetite for Destruction), Dizzy, Duff, Matt, and Gilby have crafted some enlightening music. Although most of the music was actually created by Axl, Slash, Izzy, and Duff. Matt and Gilby were replacements for Steven and Izzy. Steven was kicked out of GNR for not cleaning up, and Izzy doesn't like to tour - as well as having a kind of falling out with Axl. Dizzy was added because UYI I & II has some very complex music on it and they needed another pianist other than Axl. UYI I & II are technically one album, and I would choose them over Appetite, even though I also like Appetite greatly. UYI I & II were definately a different route from Appetite. The music is more introspective for Axl, as well as other members methinks. I can find and feel every type of human emotion and feeling on UYI I & II.

Anyways, for those who don't like GNR because your friend, or your friend's friend said they suck; take another look! And like I said, you have to listen to it all to really to understand it and appreciate it. The old GNR are some of the finest musicians in the world. I really hope Axl sees a shrink, I'd like to see them back together before they all croak. :-D

But, I can't just choose one rock band.

Tool
A Perfect Circle
Two great bands with one commonality - Maynard James Kennan! An extraordinary singer and songwriter. But, I can't just give props to him, both bands have some great musicians.

The Smashing Pumpkins
Another great, great rock band. Billy Corgan is a great musician all around, as well as a songwriter. The rest of the band is great as well. I know they will get back together, it is inevitable.

Prince
Talk about a one man show. :-D

We are talking about Rock, and Rock is a very broad category. Rock and Roll is one of the few true genres of music. Metal, punk, industrial, etc... All sub-genres. Think about it. Most music is just a sub-genre. There aren't as many genres as most people think.

Tears for Fears
Definately one of the best 80's acts ever. Songs from the Big Chair was an incredible album. Very original stuff there.

Korn
Say what you like, but they are not short of talent. One of the few bands I know to have so many catchy pieces.

Queen
Nothing need be said. :-D

The Police
An awe-inspiring three man group.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
If you don't know Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, crawl out from out of that whole you're under.

Nine Inch Nails
One man's creation... incredible.

KMFDM
Definate influence on NIN.

Pearl Jam
The early years - Ten and Vs. I just can't seem to get into their new stuff.

The Cure
I can't praise them enough.

The Cult
Spine-tingling.

The Rolling Stones
Words can't express how good this band is.

Type O' Negative
You have to love Peter Steele's humor in his "dark" lyrics. :-D And that voice is like a "dark" version of Barry White's voice, lol.

Alice in Chains
Truly one of the greats. I just wish Layne Staley had gotten help for his drug addiction. I miss that voice.

Well, I haven't covered everything. But I have covered a good range of sub-genres of Rock and Roll, as well as straight up Rock. I definately have broad taste for Rock. That isn't the only "type" of music I listen to though. :-D If any of you haven't heard some of these bands/musicians on here, I highly recommend them.

Union.

[Edited on 6-16-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Right now my favorite bands are: Linkin Park
Alkaline Trio
AFI
Billy Talent
The Vines
Son of Sam

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If i had to choose just 1 it would have to be Led Zeppelin. Although some of Deep Purple where good.

My fave album was the Remasters double cd with all the songs but i think now a days it is BBC sessions which is great in my view

Rynaldo

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
GOTTA GET THE LED OUT!!!

DAMN STRAIGHT!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There are so many good bands it hard to pick just one, my list would be endless so I'll just name a few. Some of them are in a different but similar genre, I hope thats okay.

1. TOOL and A Perfect Circle

The remaining in no certain order:
My Dying Bride
NIN
RHCP
Type O Negative
Marilyn Manson
Primus

There are many more but these are my fav's that come to mind right now.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

• KoRn
  • Cold
  • Mudvayne
  • Adema
  • Deftones

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Black Sabbath
3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Nuff said...

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   

• Pink Floyd
  • Rush
  • AC/DC

Best groups ever!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Noone has even gone near Velvet Revolver.

With two guys from Guns N Roses and another from Stone Temple Pilots........

I just don't understand.,../..?/..././?>/

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Favorite Rock Band?!?!?! Thasts an impossible question to ask! At least for me....welll....I'll try.....

Classic rock band-
Steve Miller Band

Classic classic-
Buddy Holly

Present day:
hmm...Id have to say...
anyone from Deep Elm Records
Squirell Nut Zippers
Operation Ivy
Cody Chestnutt
Jessie
Broken Social Scene
Taking Back Sunday
Saves the Day (in reverie ONLY!)
too many others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mig12
Noone has even gone near Velvet Revolver.

With two guys from Guns N Roses and another from Stone Temple Pilots........

I just don't understand.,../..?/..././?>/

I personally don't see them as being that great (the music that is). There are some great musicians there, don't get me wrong, but they don't really have a creative genius among them. The music isn't really all that interesting. The reason why GNR had as great of music as it did was because of Axl and Izzy for the most part. Slash and the rest of the group gave it the sound it needed.

Slash and Duff (who were in GNR, now in VR - as well as Matt) could never write the type of tunes that Axl and Izzy wrote. Scott Weiland (who was the singer for STP) isn't even showing the true capabilities of his voice on this album - then again, he does look pretty sickly from all that heroin use; so he might be too weak to sing like he used too. Its sad really.

Anyways, VR's first album could have been much better. The music isn't that different from the rest of the crap they play over and over again on the radio these days... unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Tool

Yeah! I am totally with Lysergic on this one, Tool is the band for me. Rock anyway, if you can call them that.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I love rock, espicially classic rock and 80s metal.

The Rolling Stones- One of the best bands to come out of the 60s
Guns N Roses- One of the best metal bands ever
KISS- One of the rock bands ever
Ozzy
Motley Crue
AC/DC
The Beatles
Steve Miller Band
Kansas
Boston
Bill Joel
Tesla
Queen
Jimmy Buffet- My favorite singer
Styx
Meatloaf
The Grateful Dead
The Doors- One of the best bands ever
Cold- Only modern rock band I like
Van Halen
Eric Clapton
The Doobie Brothers
The Who
Scorpions
Eagles
Wings

I hate modern music though, rock is'nt the same now as it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I mean Nirvana sucks, grunge sucks.

[Edited on 7-13-2004 by JediMaster]

[Edited on 7-13-2004 by JediMaster]

[Edited on 7-26-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Anyways at the moment. List changes frequently...

• Demons and Wizards
  • Dire Straits
  • The Scorpions

also just heard the Rock Against Bush album
notable songs include "Descendents: Sad State of Affairs" , "Authority Zero: Revolution" and "Strike Anywhere: To The World"

[Edited on 13-7-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
holy crap i already answered this thread! but i left some people out so here we go!

I cant stand the rock against bush album. it has some good bands, but all of the songs are the same, whiny, complaining crap i hear from rage against the machine all too much. :bash:

ironically, my favorite rock music would have to be most bands from Deep Elm records (an emo label). And emo seems to be based on the concepts of being whiny and complaining! But sheesh, at least it sounds better. Some of deep elms grade A bands would be
bradtson,
benton falls,
fire divine,
sounds like violence,
planes mistaken for stars,
surrounded,
slowride,
david singer and the sweet science,
red animal war,
logh,
last days of april, etc etc etc.

and the gods....... Miles davis and Frank Sinatra

yeah ok, those last two arent rock but they paved the way for what we call
"music"

HELL YEAH. ROCK ON BLUE EYES!

[Edited on 7-13-04 by Scat]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

This poster is on the wall behind me. It's an original, from the concert, a prized posession. I play guitar, and I find Zep are amazingly relaxing to play. Of course, EVH is my one true god (but the old stuff, please).

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
1. nine inch nails !!!!

a perfect circle

smashing pumpkins

pere ubu

wire

tool

david bowie rock/pop?

bruce springsteen!!!

pink floyd

pixies (where is my mind)song

radiohead

rammstien

oh and lest not forget
the DARKNESS (that was a joke)
along with linkin park n dribble like that.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
SMASHIN PUMPKINS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
i forgot about them, hooray! rammstein is good, i used to know all the lyrics (in german of course)

david bowie is hot, unfortunately they dont have an of his vinyls at half price books

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
mines AC/DC. Highway To Hell is my fav CD from them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join