It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrology: How accurate is it? Is there a science behind it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Here's how I scored my results:
6/10 True

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Ack, ATS deleted my whole post. Okay, basically it got some stuff right, some eerily so, but it also got some stuff wrong, and had some things that flat out contradicted each other, like that I am both 'faithful' and 'unfaithful' in relationships, and that I will 'regret my marriage' as well as have a 'quiet, loving marriage'.

Yep. As I said, the astrologer will pick and choose from those interpretations based on their judgement of the client.

A lot of the stuff it said about me was things that are either quite general, like that I am 'compassionate' or else things that everyone WANTS to believe about themselves, like that I am 'intelligent', 'reasonable', and, my personal favourite, that I will have 'numerous amorous adventures'. (though none so far...)

Kinda silly, eh? If it was accurate, it wouldn't vary so wildly.

I'm pretty sure no one ever gets told in their horoscope that they will end up in jail, or that they will die penniless, or won't ever get laid in their life, or that kind of thing.

It's equally bad at predicting criminals. You can find patterns AFTER the fact, but they're patterns shared by thousands of people, none of whom ever have these experiences.

As a predictive tool, I don't believe in astrology at all.

It's a terrible predictive tool. I've used it as such, and it's been as badly off the mark as the worst psychic with their predictions for the year. (and by the way, this was done with classic astrology and my math and charts were very accurate.) I took the horoscopes of myself and several friends and also went back to find "automobile accidents" and things like that. Zero hits.

So I can see astrology as being useful in that it can prompt people into thinking, as it did in my case, which is always a good thing. Just don't treat it as something set in stone. It can give you some ideas and some things to think about, but that's all.

And therein actually lies its usefulness. It CAN cause you to think about directions (if you're getting into trouble and your horoscope has something about "rash decisions" it can cause you to change some approaches. ... IF it has that in it.

[edit on 10-6-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
Astrology is the core, the knowledge of the changing positions of planets & objects in the heavens....etc

Actually, it isn't (and I can speak from experience because I was a professional astrologer and earning money from it when I was in my 20's.) It's the study of the "properties" of the planets and signs and isn't actually physics.

It's the foundation of astronomy because the first tables and calculations were done to predict planet positions and to give horoscopes.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Heres the thing. I've never specifically wanted my sign to match me, or the horoscope to be true, or anything like that. I never had an interest in it. I feltlike it was 100% baloney.

But now I think that the position of the cosmos during our births does have subtle effects on us as people, because my sign has always matched me, not just a little but almost 100%.

The first link in the OP's post amazed me personally. It was a rinky dink looking program a 12yr old might make but it describes me so damn accurately that its almost kinda creepy.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.3 (Unix) PHP/5.1.6 Server at astro-software.com Port 80"

aww it didn't work for me ! i like this kind of stuff. i don't take it too seriously but i can see how it works. sometimes i read horoscopes and stuff and im like wow!

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Accuracy: 70%
Represents the accuracy of Zodiac Astrology, based on 4 scores.
NON-SCIENTIFIC

Ambiguity: 60%
Represents the ambiguity of Zodiac Astrology, based on 1 score.
NON-SCIENTIFIC

Someone on page one suggested that I am just plugging astrology, and attempting to subliminally coax you all into believing this stuff. To you I say this:

HAHAHAH!!

As I mentioned in my opening statements, I don't think that there IS anything to believe in as far as Astrology goes. I certainly am not trying to "push" it. Hell, I don't even know all the correct terminology as someone else pointed out.

As I said in a previous post, I am NOT an expert on astrology. I have just become interested in it lately. I started this thread to initiate discussion, and try out a little experiment to see how accurate it was.

To the person that stated that this experiment was highly flawed and non-scientific - I KNOW.
My percentage updates have been flying the NON-SCIENTIFIC flag the whole time. Early on, I stated that this thread/poll is by no means going to prove/disprove anything. I just thought the idea of getting everyone to rate their charts (or whatever you call them) would be fun, and would spark some good discussion about astrology in general.

I really appreciate the suggestions from some of you on how to set this up as a real-deal scientific polling, but I really am not interested in doing that. Why? Because I know that a scientific polling here on ATS/BTS isnt going change what anybody thinks about astrology. Its thousands of years old, and my meager thread won't be putting any dents or sparkles on the face of astrology.

I would just like to see how everybody rates their charts, and afterward it would be cool to discuss how/why the charts are so right/wrong. If there are some astrology buffs that would like to chime in here and educate us on the topic a bit, I'd be more than happy to entertain your post. However, this is NOT a recruitment thread. I am just very curious about this whole astrology thing, how it works, how accurate it is, etc. I mean the stuff has been around for ages, so I figured I'd brush up on the subject a bit and try to deny some ignorance.

Ok, I'm done rambling on.

[edit on 6/11/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Beyond it being a good personality analyzer, I really don't much stock into it at all.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Beyond it being a good personality analyzer, I really don't much stock into it at all.

yeah that's where I'm at too.

<< 1   >>

join