It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Hot Water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Here's a great way to make lots of free hot water (depends on how much sunshine I suppose).

A Chinese farmer has made his own solar-powered water heater out of beer bottles and hosepipes.

"I invented this for my mother. I wanted her to shower comfortably," says Ma Yanjun, of Qiqiao village, Shaanxi province.

Full ananova.com article

I was going to make something similar for the top of my shed roof. It faces due south and is pretty big (3 x 8 metres).

I was going to use black plastic pipe and plastic or wine bottles.

Maybe hook it up to the main hot water system of the house, that way I will subsidise my hot water costs all year round and in particularly hot weather it will be peanuts!

Necessity is the mother of invention.......nice one China!

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yeah these have been around for years they can be bought here....
www.solardirect.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
based on the cost of the heaters at your link, his is much more afforable and practicle...some recycling and everything
kudos to ingenuity

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Nice! I wonder how warm the water can reach with a contraption like that.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

From Anagram:
Nice! I wonder how warm the water can reach with a contraption like that.

More than hot enogh for a good shower. It depends on outside temperature and volume of water I suppose.

From AcesInTheHole:
Yeah these have been around for years they can be bought here....

Well mine cost me a total of about TEN EUROS for some connections. I had the other stuff lying around...........

I did some crude experiments early last summer when the temperature outside was about 32-35°C.

I rigged up about 30m of thick black plastic mains water tubing (3/4inch internal) which I lay on the lawn, attached to a pump (old "eheim" fish tank pump, very low power) and a large plastic container with a pinhole in the top for expansion (45L ish). I didn't use bottles, but mineral water bottles would do and glass would be ideal.

Had it going for about 3 hours. After a day mixing concrete I had a really hot shower.
Just unplugged it from the filter and "voila". Clean at last. Refilled it and did the same each day for about a week until I kicked the pump by accident and split its case.

BUT IT WORKS!
Try it! have fun, be inventive and resourseful.

[edit on 5/6/2007 by nerbot]

top topics

join