It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No jobs for US citizens without Homeland Security approval

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well this along with Bush giving him self dictatorial powers I find my self hard pressed to see any good coming from this. What is the reason for this surly it has not got anything to to with illegal immigration. Or is it even true for that matter.

No jobs for US citizens without Homeland Security approval

Submitted by Canada IFP on Sat, 2007-05-26 18:00.Americas | United States | News

US citizens who apply for a job will need prior approval from Department of Homeland Security under the terms immigration bill(PDF) passed by the Senate this week.
~~
Even current employees will need to obtain eligibility approval from the DHS Within 60 days of the Immigration Reform Act of 2006 becoming law.
pressesc.com...

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
My first question would be how reliable is the source? Is there another source as well? Sauron, I'm not questioning your credibility, I just think this would be a bit far-fetched.

If true, my next question is: Why do I, 31 yrs old, born in the USA by legal citizens of the USA, have to be approved for a job I've been at for 7 yrs, in a city I've lived in for 30 yrs?

It doesn't appear to say "Only Immigrants," it's seems to me that it would be everybody. You, me, our friends, relatives, neighbors, etc....

DHS is taking this a little too far.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
To tell you the truth I have no idea how valid the source is, But the ACLU seem to have a problem with this bill.

ACLU Raises Concerns on Senate Immigration Bill; Proposed Legislation Would Harm Privacy, Due Process (5/25/2007)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WASHINGTON - The American Civil Liberties Union today expressed grave concerns about the due process and privacy implications of the Senate immigration bill. The proposed legislation would create a vast federal database to verify the work eligibility of all job applicants in America - including U.S. citizens; expand indefinite detention; and deny effective judicial review of Department of Homeland Security errors denying immigration status.
www.aclu.org...

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
From the ACLU website:

www.aclu.org...

Creates a “government permission slip to work” for all, including American citizens.
This bill would greatly expand existing employment eligibility pre-screening by mandating that all employers participate in an Employment Eligibility Verification System. While the Senate adopted an amendment to build in some privacy protections and due process for workers aggrieved by government data errors, the Employment Eligibility Verification System could prevent hundreds of thousands of lawful, eligible workers from getting their next job.

Employers will bear an enormous financial burden under the employment verification provisions.
America's 8.4 million employers would have to expend significant resources to implement an electronic verification system.

The system would require the creation of massive government databases, placing our most private information at risk by creating a "one stop shopping" source for identity thieves.
These databases would cover every lawful resident of the United States. The security risks are undeniable and unfathomable. Substantial amounts of personally identifiable information would be gathered about every citizen and every visa holder. As we have seen with the data breach involving the Veterans Affairs Administration and 26.5 million veterans, government data about citizens is sensitive and identity thieves want to obtain it from the government. The databases created by the Employment Eligibility Verification System would be a prime target of identity thieves because such an enormous database will be impossible to secure. Americans should brace themselves for data breaches and spills.

Yet they fail to cite any supportive content from the bill itself.(?)

Personally, I'd say we need to find the portion(s) of this bill which support the ACLU's claims prior to comment and or condemnation. (?) There seem to be Many claims made here, I'm just wondering how many of them can be proven true/factual.

s2611pcs.txt.pdf

new topics

top topics

join