It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am i too concerned with preserving life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Firstly i'll start off by saying i'm agnostic. I am a baptised Catholic, but i personally do not believe in God. In saying that, i am open minded and am a very 'seeing is believing' person so i'm not ruling a higher power out.

I have been thinking a lot recently about life in general and (i know this sounds lame and cliche) i have really realised how fragile it is. We could be snuffed out in an instant. You could make a single wrong choice and it could destroy you...

That scares me greatly, because as i said above i am not a Religious person, and i do not believe there is anything after death.

To get to my point, i have always gone strangely out of my way to preserve life. I cannot kill anything, regardless of how large or small. If a spider crawls on me i will panic but still can't bring myself to hurt it, let a lone kill it. I step around or over trails of ants, etc etc...

I know what it sounds like, i am obsessive compulsive or soft. It isn't either of those things, i just see how precious our chance at life is, and i think that everything should get it's chance, regardless of what it was born as. (Yes i do eat meat... i can't see the harm in it, as i wasn't the one to kill the animal).

I just wonder if anyone else is the same, regardless of your religion.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I have respect for living things also. I will go out of my way to save a moth or a spider or a frog etc: because I think they have a rite to live as we do. I do not care if people come here and say they do not like them, I do not like some of them either (especially frogs) , but I do not want to kill them because as hideous as they are, they have a purpose here for the earth as we do..
my brother loves to shoot things when we go to the woods ,and that bothers me because I guess I'm a wimp from what they say, but I make myself deal with it because not everyone thinks or believes the way I/we do, and sometimes I want to get drunk while we are there for the weekend so it doesn't bother me so much .
but either way i love and respect all nature, and i think everyone should

[edit on 22-5-2007 by SonyaChristina]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I'm an Atheist and feel like you
I'd say most Atheists/non-christians respect life more than christians do , because in christianity animals were created to serve man.

[edit on 22-5-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
I'm an Atheist and feel like you
I'd say most Atheists/non-christians respect life more than christians do , because in christianity animals were created to serve man.

[edit on 22-5-2007 by DarkSide]

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Yeah, as i always say to people, you can live a morally good life without having to do it for a higher power. Do it for other people and yourself.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Don't think you really have to be religious to have that sacred kind of respect for life. You seem to be in a place that a lot of people are not. A connection and respect for the tiniest living things.

That's pretty cool. As a child I use to avoid stepping on ants, but that was then, now I admit I am not as careful, and some bugs, if they are in my bed and I see them, the are toast.

However I think your respect for and recognition of this fact of the delicacy of life is admirable.

top topics

join