It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina to Allow Handguns in School - by ANYONE w/ a permit

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_unraveller
I've neva 'eard of any intelligent and "peace-minded" hip-hop, dawg... maybe 1 or 2 songs... those type of hip-hop/rap artists are in minority(as far as I know), they are not so popular. A lot of people love the violent/angry/dope smokin', ho' smackin' types.

Hmm, I would have to disagree. There is a large market for the violant, NWA-type rap, but there is also a large market for the intelligent and social/pollitically minded rap...the artists who do it because they love it, not for the lhigh profile lifestyle(as they are generally not making tons of money with it).

And perhaps you have not been looking for the right type of rap/hip-hop...or maybe you have a selective attention. Shall I make a short list?

*A Tribe Called Quest
*Abstrackt Keal Agram
*Anticon
*Atmosphere
*Blackalicious
*Bran Van 3000 (I would be hard pressed to consider it all hip-hop...it's a nice mix though).
*The Avalanches
*Boom Bip
*Cannibal Ox
*cLOUDDEAD (kind of, haha)
*Company Flow
*Dalek
*MF Doom
*Danger Mouse
*Danger Doom (combines the last two...but it was its own thing so it gets seperate listing)
*De La Soul
*Deltron 3030
*Dilated Peoples
*Beasty Boys (I think we can agree they were good fun...oh, and they have some political/social songs as well).
*dj BC
*DJ Shadow
*Dobie
*Dr. Octagon
*El-P
*Faust and Dalek
*Ghostface Killah
*Prefuse 73

My, I am not even half way through my library of rap/hip-hop. I listed all of those because I feel that the argument was unjustified and based in ingnorance to the subject matter.

Originally posted by The_unraveller
Its not just underground majority that is violent... how about Eminem? Cypress hill? IceT? DMX? etc... they're not underground, they do a couple of their gigs "underground"... but they are really (or extremely) popular.

I had said that the underground majority is not violant.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I find it funny that some of you did not even bother to read the whole article before spouting your opinion. Had you read the entire article you would have already known that the qualifications for a CCW are:

To obtain a concealed weapon permit in South Carolina, a resident must be at least 21, undergo at least eight hours of handgun training, and pass criminal and mental background checks.

As with most states it is illegal to own a pistol if you are under the age of 21. So no students would be allowed to have a conceled weapon on campus.

SC Gun Laws

Originally posted by bothered

Statistically, in acts of violence with firearms, only 20% or so illegally owned. Of the remaining 80%, about 25% were justified use.

Just because some maniac fooled the guy telling him to hit the target, and got a piece of paper is of no rest assurance to me.

Really....got any stats to back up that claim of yours?

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imperium Americana
As with most states it is illegal to own a pistol if you are under the age of 21. So no students would be allowed to have a conceled weapon on campus.

except on college campuses, which is the whole reason why the discussions on gun laws are being heated up again.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is madness, you are moving towards Nazification of the state, what next. The 2nd amendment is out dated, it was relevant when it was written, but long passed its use by date. Now it is going to drag your country into a quasi Nazi dictatorship.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mukiwa
This is madness, you are moving towards Nazification of the state, what next. The 2nd amendment is out dated, it was relevant when it was written, but long passed its use by date. Now it is going to drag your country into a quasi Nazi dictatorship.

If the 2nd amendment is outdated, why not the entire Bill of Rights? Lets see...the First amendment has gotta go. Its not like the authors of the Constitution could have possibly forseen the internet, television, radio, etc. Clearly, this 'freedom of speech' is beyond the scope that they intended to allow, and the citizens of the United States should be limited to the technology of the day... primarily print media and word of mouth.

Third and fourth amendments? One word: terrorism. Clearly, these should be repealed as well. The Constitutional authors never could have forseen the threat to our nation in 2007. Government should have MUCH more access into the private lives of its citizens to prevent such acts from occuring.

The 6th amendment is another one to toss out. Have you seen the backlog in many districts in the US? No need for a trial. Toss 'em in jail and get it over with. They're probably guilty anyway. And who needs a jury trial? That just costs the government and taxpayers billions of dollars per year in juror pay and lost worker productivity. So toss amendment 7 as well.

Amendment 8. Toss. The excess bail money would help with the current federal debt load in the US. And who cares about cruel and unusual punishment. They're just criminals.

Amendments 9 and 10...they're already ignored.

Hopefully, you see what I'm getting at here. The only thing that will lead to the creation of a dictatorship in the United States is if we continue to allow the government to chip away at the rights we already have. And the fact is, the 2nd amendment was included by the authors of the Constitution to prevent such an event from ever occuring.

South Carolina is on the right track. Their plan isn't perfect (I think armed security guards would be a better solution), but it potentially shifts the odds and makes it much more difficult for some idiot to commit such acts without resistance. That's a good thing, IMO.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
except on college campuses, which is the whole reason why the discussions on gun laws are being heated up again.

True in the case of college, but I was referring to the posters who assumed that high school students, and such, would be allowed a CCW.

But I fail to see the problem with 21 year old students. 21 years old is what juniors and seniors. we are not talking about fresh faced 17-18 year old freshmen here. By the time 21 rolls around a majority of the immature students have either washed out or straightened up. A generalization, I know, but anyone who has been through college knows that there is a big difference between a 4th year and a 1st year. As a CCW holder, I know the effort it takes. I for one am not in favor of giving them out like candy. As long as there is a requirement for training, it should weed out most of the fools. I say most because some will always slip through.

Let me get this straight: You think we are moving towards a fascist dictatorship, sooooo....we should get rid of the one and only power the people have to fight against turning into to a tyrannical state....thus avoiding a tyrannical state???? Anyone else here confused by this logic???
Wow...i really hope this is only weak troll-foo.

/this thread has been Godwin'd

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Would this be another non-American casting an expert opinion on the life and times of America? Well... I hate to say that I am shocked, most particularly that someone who doesn't appear to be American can have such a fine grasp of American politics to create an intelligent comparison between whatever "democracy" we may have and Nazism.

You might sound a great deal less ignorant if you would go back and brush up on your Nazi history and the Nazi paradigm vs American history and the American paradigm.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join