It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Death in Denver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
USA Today

USA Today is reporting that squirrels in Denver Colorado (USA) have been found to have the Plague. Many squirrels have died. The plague is transferred by fleas. Cats are highly likely to be infected by the fleas from the squirrels. Officials are urging people to keep their cats indoors.

So far there have been no reported cases of it transferring to humans.

Also - USA Today is reporting that the Plague is curable. I didn't know that. I thought that you either lived or died on your own once you caught it and that most people died from it.

[edit on 5/15/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Bubonic plague is present in the United States all the time. It mostly occurs in the southwest. Research the United States Public Health Service and you will find the heroes who are constantly on the guard preventing this disease from spreading.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The check the ground-squirrils at Griffith Park every year to see if there is need to close off sections of the park from the Plague...

There is an entire area of Texas where Anthrax is latent in the soil.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I had never heard of it like this. Is it that common? I know anthrax is everywhere .. but the plague? And the official said it was 'cureable'.

I guess I'm out of touch with this stuff. I thought the plague was hard to find and that once people got it .. it was usually a death sentence.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I guess I'm out of touch with this stuff. I thought the plague was hard to find and that once people got it .. it was usually a death sentence.

I had thought the same thing until I read another topic on here a few days in which I was somewhat educated ( can't remember the thread though ).

You just never stop learnin' here at ATS.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I had never heard of it like this. Is it that common?

Yup. It really is.

I know anthrax is everywhere .. but the plague? And the official said it was 'cureable'.

Indeed. Yersinia pestis is simply a bacillus. Easy to knock out.

I thought the plague was hard to find and that once people got it .. it was usually a death sentence.

No... plauge has hit Europe and other places thousands of times over the course of history. Yes, before modern antibiotics it was a death sentence. Now we use streptomyecins and the death rate is 0%-20% (depending on when it's caught)
www.kcom.edu...

A longish but interesting article on it:
www.emedicine.com...

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
More Black Death News from Denver

Now it's spread to the rabbits and one of the monkeys in the zoo has died from it.

I have read what people have posted, but I still find this disturbing. Perhaps because I have visions of what happened to Europe with this.

BTW .. 'they' gave us a plague vaccination when I went into the Army. We all got a plague pock on our shoulder where the vaccine went in. If this is so curable .. I wonder why we had to have the vaccine? Is the cure newer than when I went into the Army in 1981??

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Now it's spread to the rabbits and one of the monkeys in the zoo has died from it.

Which did "up" the ante, there... rabbits are common in the city.

BTW .. 'they' gave us a plague vaccination when I went into the Army. We all got a plague pock on our shoulder where the vaccine went in. If this is so curable .. I wonder why we had to have the vaccine? Is the cure newer than when I went into the Army in 1981??

I believe that's smallpox.

There's a plague vaccine that's been created only recently... and is not well tested. One source I see say that it's not available in the US, though this may have changed. The vaccine doesn't leave a pock mark, which is why I think what you got was the smallpox vaccination.
www.randomperspective.com...

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There are roughly 10-15 cases of Bubonic Plague in rural areas of the US a year, and between 1000-3000 cases in Africa, Asia, and South America every year. You just don't see the huge outbreaks that decimated Europe.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I live in Denver, so most News stations are giving this plenty attention!!! They have signs up in parks that say "Don't Feed the Squirrels". They are also saying not to touch any animal that you find dead. After the monkey died in the Zoo, I'm curious to learn if there will be more deaths because of that. I'll start to get worried if the entire Zoo ends up dead.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I think what you got was the smallpox vaccination.

Nope. My Yellow Shot Record sheet says plague. I also got the small pox vaccination. This was separate. It was definately the plaque. (or someone screwed up in recordkeeping .. which considering that it's the military it could have happened).

edited for spelling

[edit on 5/22/2007 by FlyersFan]

new topics

top topics

join