It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bipartisan bill bans warrantless wiretapping of US citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Bipartisan bill bans warrantless wiretapping of US citizens

rawstory.com

Members of Congress from both parties succeeded on Friday in passing legislation that restricts the wiretapping of US citizens by the National Security Agency without warrants.

"When Congress said the Administration must get court approval for domestic surveillance, we meant it. Today, Congress reaffirmed that basic protection," said Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), who co-sponsored legislation included in the intelligence authorization bill that Congress passed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This is big.

Finally (and hopefully) this action will carry some weight. It's been a long time coming since the Bush Administration continues on with the "inherent powers" fiasco. President Bush and his Administration have tried for quite some time to ensure their ability to spy on the American populous. F.I.S.A. of 1978 prevents such with clear mean, but to this day they are squabbling over the ability to get around it.

Sorry, Chief... no go.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Good, it's about time they got around to telling him he's not allowed to do this.

I'm just glad the Democratic Domination (the last election) happened, as this would not
have happened under the Republican majority.

apc

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Hopefully this won't become another veto, as it in no way warrants one.

However I've been of the opinion since I was 12 that you should never say anything sensitive over the phone or, later, over the Internet unencrypted. In fact during my hacker days I would only discuss secretive matters with another while in a car driving on a highway with the windows rolled down. But I don't think the issue of privacy over electronic media is going to change any time soon, no matter who is President or what Congress passes.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Hopefully this won't become another veto, as it in no way warrants one.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is something that he can't veto, as it's not a law
that he would have to sign.

top topics

join