It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools budgets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is just something I've found to be so stressful to listen to. Our school is one of the best in Wisconsin and we've just gotten budget cuts. So in order to manage the budget cuts the school decided to:

cut all buses for student living within a 2 mile radius of the schhol (the have to rely on their own forms of transportation)

Make PARKING SPACES rented out at the cost of 50 dollars per school year.

Cut the middle school football team.

Raise the cost of enrollment fees for other sports from 15 to 50 dollars.

Now, what have they done to conteract this budget cut?

They just built brand new stadium steats and score board for the middle school football team that they cut.

All the teachers now have brand new flat-screen monitors for their computers.

The addition of a computerized software progem to keep track of attendance.

My question is that why would they cut all the costly things only to buy more crap we don't need. (The bus thing especially makes me angry, a lot of my friends are out in the cold now for that one.)

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
well at my old school, we got free imacs for putting up apples "think different" posters talk about ghetto

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
That's terrible. Obviously, the administration isn't so smart, and in need of a hearing aid. Unfortunately, schools across the US are being forced to make choices about spending.

Here they decided to focus on the arts. Especially music. Most kids in elementary now cannot take orchestra. It's a sad thing to hear. I know many kids are robbed of oppurtunity. But whose fault is it? I don't know.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I think it has to do with the city not giving schools enough money? Or the schools don't get enough funds or something. Sometimes I wonder where our money goes.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I wouldn't doubt it goes up my butt. No, but seriously, I don't think there's shady operations. It's just not enough, probably starts from the top.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
i bet they can still afford to pay their administrators their nice paychecks, where i live we have 10 of them making 100k...nice

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Check into your states respective budgets or Proposed State Fiscal Budget.....
This should give a breakdown for what is being spent on what concerning and specifically: education.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
yes, its bad

At my highschool the teachers are very limeted to how many pappers they can print out, cancelling lots of sports, you cant dry your hands after going to the restroom.

No new suppleys, IE: pencils, pens, papper eta

they almost shut down my school, and they almost canned summer school, they cut summer shool classes by more then half

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Very interesting....

I've found that the people in my small village (well, it techinically IS a village, that's kind of scary) aren't very smart when it comes on spending money wisely.

New ex: My church just built a 'family center' as an add on. We didn't need it, we have no use for it, and now we can't afford to keep it. Yet we also really NEEDED (cough) an eletronic sign so that athetists can give it the finger when they drive by (and they do, hehe).

I wonder if the heads of the church and heads of the school are one in the same...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I think a lot of it has to do with power and recognition. If you build buildings, there is power. If you equip teachers for education and provide supplies no one notices.

As far as the 2 mile distance, paid for parking and sports fees, I don't think they are a bad idea. 2 miles is a healthy walk, paid parking is a revenue and safety enhancer, and sports fees are probably worth while. They make sense, as long as no additional spending occurs.

As far as flat screens, the power savings can justify the expense in some cases. I have 10 machines in my business, flat screen vs CRTs was an easy decision when you look at the total cost issue.

I've heard horror stories from Wisconsin teachers. A lot of them get yearly take home pay reductions. That has got to be pretty demoralizing. Yet the schools still fund huge athletic programs..... I'm not anti-sports, but if cost is an issue, reduce the schedule, reduce practise times, cut paid positions, use volunteer coaches, reduce travel. Students can still get the value of sports at much much less cost. Then perhaps a teachers take home pay could remain the same, or even acheive a nominal cost of living increase.

Here is another thought. The average public school in my area gets $8000/student. Average class size of 20.

$160,000 for a class
$60,000 for a top notch experienced teacher
$20,000 in benefits
$8000 for 1000 sq ft classroom ($8/sq is a little high)
$12000 for books and supplies (again top of the line)
$5000 for technology amortization
$5000 for music and arts programs
$1000 for sports programs ( intentionally low through volunteer labor)
$9000 general and administrative expense
$4000 transportation
$6000 utilities and ancillirary services

leaving $30000 in profit per classroom

There is no reason schools should be in trouble except for mismanagement of priorities. It looks like a pretty good investment for private enterprise though.

Any thoughts??

top topics

join