It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Power, and the Stirling Engine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I've read a few things on the Stirling type engine before.
It's an Old design..Developed in Scotland by a pair of Brothers,
Robert and James Stirling, way back in 1816.

The engine is a closed system, usually using pistons that contain some type of gas. Hydrogen, Helium, or just plain fresh air. Power is produced by heating the gas in one cylinder, allowing it to expand enough to move one piston into a position that transfers the heated gas into another piston, where it is cooled.
The cooled gas, is then moved back to the other piston, where it is reheated, and the cycle continues.

It's an EXTERNAL combustion engine, so to speak. Where the motivation is suppllied by some kind of external heat source. It can be natural gas, or oil, even the sun.

There are many designs.

But here is the one that I just discovered. Some of you may have read about this. It's a company called "Stirling Energy Systems", and there are some big doings out in the deserts of California, and New Mexico.

Stirling Energy Systems

They are working on a 5000 Megawatt power station in the Mojave desert,
to cover 4,500 acres eventually. Made from Advanced Stirling Engine technolgy, combined with Parabolic mirrors.

This is what a single generator will look like

One of these could produce enough energy for 8-10 homes.
Other than the environmental impact of builing the site..There is minor impact thereafter.
These are MORE effecient than Photovotaic cells, at the present time.

So, now I am Fascinated with this technology.
There are instructions all over the web, on how to build your own Stirling Engine. There are Kits available to build a more professional looking version.
But What I would like to try, for myself. Is to build a small version of the parabolic/Stirling combination.
Using a 36 inch Satellite Dish that I no longer use. And some sort of Generator. I'm not expecting to generate tons of power, or even power my own house. But I am interested enough spend some time experimenting.

What I can't seem to find, is a Durable Engine, that is priced below a thousand dollars. Something I could mount to the Dish, and connect to a generator.

Any other Stirling fans out there? Any ideas?

[edit on 9-5-2007 by spacedoubt]

[edit on 9-5-2007 by spacedoubt]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Not cost efficient, global warming is not anthropogenic (search for the "whole solar system is warming" thread), cornucopianism is a valid world view. The cheapest means of generating power is the best, and this is not it (try coal or maybe fission)

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Thats it?
That all you've got for me?
I've read the Solar system thread.

I'm more interested in NOT paying a power company.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I thought it was good information.
You can make a smaller version and unhook from the grid.

I have a solar stove made from a common satellite dish and mirrors.
cook a chicken in no time.

www.sunspot.org.uk...

[edit on 9-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Interesting, junglelord.

There were some people demonstrating similar devices in town a couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunately for them it was a partly couldy day. Even then, the thermomenters were registering about 200 degrees F..So at least they got their point across.

After seeing those, I had thought about converting that old dish of mine, in to a solar cooker. And I still might do that..But then..I ran across this Stirling power plant. SO, I got a little sidetracked...LOL

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
there was a local man on a local TV show and he had one that was about 8 or 10 feet across about the size of the old large satellite dishes...and he could heat 40 gallons of water to boiling in 20 minutes....he could set a 2X4 on fire in two seconds...and I mean a big poof of flame...lol

He melted the front bumper of his sons car by accident or vica versa (I have a post concussion injury)
he had it mounted on a directional platform...
simple yet very powerful...when the suns out its very effective.

[edit on 10-5-2007 by junglelord]

top topics

join