It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Spy Coins' Canada's Poppy Quarter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Canada - Tuesday, May 08, 2007 Updated @ 10:37:36 AM

An odd-looking Canadian quarter with a bright red flower was the culprit behind a false espionage warning from the U.S. Defense Department about mysterious coins with radio frequency transmitters, The Associated Press has learned.

The harmless "poppy quarter" was so unfamiliar to suspicious U.S. army contractors travelling in Canada that they filed confidential espionage accounts about them. The worried contractors described the coins as "filled with something man-made that looked like nano-technology," according to once-classified U.S. government reports and e-mails obtained by the AP.

The silver-coloured 25-cent piece features the red image of a poppy, Canada's flower of remembrance, inlaid over a maple leaf.

www.nugget.ca...

I kinda thought this was funny when I read the headline,but they were dead serious.I have heard jokes about our Canadian money like it's play money or monopoly money. But really, spy coins is just too funny.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hey Access!

Isn't that the funniest thing you've ever heard.

I've read what you posted up there, and thought to myself, "Those coins have been in circulation for some time now". (I was collecting a few for myself at one point)

Didn't anyone give the 'heads-up' to the U.S. mint/treasury or what?

Every countries officials/treasuries/etc. are pretty much privey to things before it gets out to the public.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I was watching a report on CBC the other day when they took a bunch of these collectible coins to a spy shop to see if they contained any RFID whatsoever. Guess what the result was? I laughed my ass off when one CNBC report claimed there was very advanced ZOMG NANOTECH SPING DEVICES in the coin. Seriously, that is what they reported.

new topics

join