It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Gimp 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Hi I recently aquired the Gimp and am at a loss with it, if any one can give me some good start off tips for editing and creating art I would be very appreciative.

I know very little tech talk so please keep it simple for me.

[edit on 4-5-2007 by Chukkles]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
what is a gimp, plz do tell

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Art Program, can download in from member art forum, it was recommended to me so if you want it look in the last posts of this thread:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
One thing I would like to know is how do I take one pic and put it on another pic in another window???

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I use Photoshop but this applies to both programs. Learn what layers are and how to use them. That is a good starting point as I assume you already know how to select colors pick brushes and all that jazz.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
kinglizard is correct, and I also assume that you want a layer on top of an existing image.

In the window where the existing image is at, click on "File" then click on "Open as layer"

The new image will be in a layer that is above the first image.

If it needs to be resized, go to the toolbox window and select the 14th tool (counting from the left) You can now use the handles to resize the image. When you are finished, click on "Scale" in the Scale window that should pop up when you adjust the image.

Now you should see the new layer in the "Layers" window. To get the "Layers" window to appear, go to "Dialogs", then click on "Layers" A small window should pop up, showing the two layers.

You can move the layer up or down in the stack from this window.

alternatively, you can go to "Layer" and click on "New Layer", then open the second image onto the new layer. (But be sure that the new layer is selected in the :layers" window)

But the first method obviously is a bit faster.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 5/4/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It does, alot.
Thanks, this is a very good starting point as I wasn't sure how to use the layers properly...

Edit: Is there any way to write with coloured text and then give that a coloured outline???

[edit on 4-5-2007 by Chukkles]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
Edit: Is there any way to write with coloured text and then give that a coloured outline???

Hmmm.. I'm sure that there is, but soory, I don't know how to do that (yet). What I could suggest is that you download the Help File package from sourceforge. Available either as a single file (39 MB) or as five or so seperate files.

In fact I am also doing that as I write this post to you. I had meant to download it previously, but always forgot about it.

You can download it from the same webpage that the Gimp can be downloaded from...

gimp-win.sourceforge.net...

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles

You type the text and then apply what is called a "stroke".

Just search the help file for "stroke".

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
There are literally dozens of online tutorials for GIMP.

Try this for starters:

Gimp.org

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Here's some other websites that feature tutorials for The Gimp...

graphicssoft.about.com...

www.gimp-tutorials.com...

www.gimptalk.com...

top topics

join