It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water cut off in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
BBC News

It is being reported that the water shortage in Australia is reaching critical stages. The government is now saying that unless there is heavy rainfall, and unless it comes soon, then the Australian government will have to cut off water to the agricultural sector. The farms will not be allowed to irrigate. They say there is only enough for drinking. YIKES!

This has the potential to have major consequences for Australia.
The food supply, which is tied to national security, is at stake.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Yes, well that is the current state of the crisis...

if we don't get rain soon, the areas around that rely on the River Murray for agriculture will be ruined. It is desperate now, so god knows what it will be like in 5 weeks, that the time limit they are giving it.

For eg, if we don't get rain within 5 - 6 weeks, the apricots will die and we won't have any apricots for 5 years. So, it is getting pretty bad.

We can expect from this, a huge price increase in our fruit and vegetables...
www.news.com.au...

some more local info for you...

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Good Lord! I feel so badly for all the Aussie's.
Ya know every year we hear about the potential and shortages and it's always elsewhere and in 3rd world countries but this really brings it closer to home and sheds light on a desperate situation.

I pray for loads of rain for you all.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Here in Alberta it is a mess of rain slush and snow. I'd love it if I could send some of this moisture to our friends in Australia.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hey Flyers.F

Yes, this has been coming in loud and clear for all Victoria.....not so sure about the other States of Australia, but here in melbourne we have had some serious water restrictions put into place..
We can water the gardens or use the outdoor water hose only twice a week and certain times only.
eg/tuesdays and thursdays between6am and 8am only...
I remember a few days ago the Prime Minister was asked about his water useuage in the bathroom and if he uses a bucket(buckets of water collected are allowed..go figure!).....he replied that he takes very short showers and no buckets!

Its pretty bad apparently from what the weather reports say.
John Howard(Prime minister)said that all Aussies are to pray for rain.....I guess this must be bad if he said to Pray!
Im not so sure what to make of this whole water restrictions ongoing issue....

Also as the NJE777 said ''We can expect from this, a huge price increase in our fruit and vegetables''within the next few days.
Not so sure how this will help the farmers out with all their dying crops and all.
The increase of money yet again will go to those that dont need it....the farmers will be the poor lost souls left with the huge debts once again.

ps...Happy Pascha(easter) to you...
IX

helen

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Never fear, Aussies. We'll send you what you need. You've been our mates for a long time now.

new topics

top topics

join