It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobbit hominids lived the island life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
A tantalising piece of evidence has been added to the puzzle over so-called "hobbit" hominids found in a cave in a remote Indonesian island, whose discovery has ignited one of the fiercest rows in anthropology.

news.yahoo.com...

Explorers of the human odyssey have been squabbling bitterly since the fossilised skeletons of tiny hominids, dubbed after the diminutive hobbits in J.R.R. Tolkien's tale, were found on the island of Flores in 2003.

Measuring just a metre (3.25 feet) tall and with a skull the size of a grapefruit, the diminutive folk lived around 20,000 and 80,000 years ago and appear to have been skillful toolmakers, hunters and butchers.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I read an article in National Geographic about this very "Hobbit" find. It explained their size by comparing it to the evolution of certain animals upon reaching islands. Rats and monitor lizards got larger, this is how the Komodo dragon got it's size. Primitive stegodonts (and apparently some primitive "humans") got smaller.

There's a legend about short, hairy people still living on some of the islands, mostly in the mountainous regions. There actually is an expedition to find these lost "little people". Sounds like Indonesian pymies.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I was wondering if small hairy people-like creatures couldn't be an explanation for Orang pendek (littlefoot). The smaller cousin of Bigfoot so many people see in areas of Sumatra and other regions around the world. Sounds like they would look very similar.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
My father is from the pacific islands and he told me a story his father told him when he was young.
He mentioned small people living in caves.

top topics

join