It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classroom chaos caught on cell phone ... What really goes on in the school system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is a viedo on my local news website. The link is to the watercooler section. Sorry, there is no direct link to the viedo. On the right hand side you will see a picture of a tiger and her cubs playing. That is the viedo section. Right under that are 5 small thumbnails. Click the fifth one right before the arrow.

kdka.com...

The viedo will only be there for today April 12. I'll describe it also. A kid used their cell phone build in camera that could also record a small viedo clip. He caught the teacher sitting at the desk not paying attention to the students. While all the students are out of their seats screaming. One boy put another boy in a headlock. After the the small viedo clip, they went on to interview the family and the principle. The mother was shocked and angry, and has every right to be. The principal wouldn't discuss it, since it is a "personell matter". I really hate when they use that excuse to weasle their way out of these types of situations.

I get the feeling that this is becoming more and more of a common occurance in our school systems. How much more happens behind those closed doors in which we are not allowed to enter? If a problem is occuring, the school system basically tries to brush the parents off. Won't talk about it hiding behind redicilous rules and regulations.

The people pay taxes for those schools to be open and teaching their kids. I feel that the tax payers have the right to ask questions and get the proper answers no matter what it is about or who is involved.

This is just another reason why so many people don't trust them any longer. They wonder why the no child left behind act was passed. I admit it isn't the answer, but at the very least at least it woke up more of the public that there is something seriously wrong with the public school systems, and that kids are graduating without knowing how to read, write, or add and subtract profeciently. No wonder so many more parents are truning to homeschooling their children including myself. Yet the schools, teachers, and principles still wonder why parents are turning more and more towards homeschooling.

This just makes me angry.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well I have to say that teacher should be dismissed immediately, as
that is incredibly irresponsible.

I have never heard of a case like this happening before, nor has any-
thing anywhere near that ever happened at any of the schools I've
ever attended.

I have to say, this does seem like more of an isolated incident, though
I suspect it is more common in certain geopolitical areas than it is in
others, but even than I think this is most likely rare.

On a side note, if for some reason things actualy escelated like this at
my school, the teacher, or a student would have contacted the security
officer and the cop that work there for this very reason.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Shocking but not surprising. This is why I homeschool my kids.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
iori, How many kids complain about getting bullied at school? How many kids complain they don't want to go to school for various reasons?

The problem is that much of the time kids will go home, complain about being bullied or something about the teacher, and the parents brush it off. They don't take the kids all that seriously. I wonder how many times that boy complained to his mother before feeling neccessary to viedo tape what actually went on?

It was a shock to the mother, because the mother felt just as you do. It is rare, and can't happen in my school. I didn't have any problems in elementary school, since I went to a Catholic school, and you didn't dare pull any of those stunts in front of the nuns.

When I went to a public highschool, heck I didn't tell my mom nearly half of what went on. I hated to go. I'll admit I never saw a physical fight. It was common for some of the teachers who had seinority to leave the classroom for an unspecificed time. Most of the parents would have died and rolled over in their early graves to hear some of the sexual banter that went on. Questions that were meant to bully emotionally, sexual banter, gossip, and etc that I couldn't publish on this forum.

Later on when I was older and out of highschool, I did have a chance to talk to some friends of the family about one particular guy that had a really nasty mouth. I told them about what happened, and they wouldn't believe me. No way, he would never say anything like that.

What makes it extremely hard is that the schools don't disclose what really happens in the class rooms. I would be happy if the public schools were like in the kids show Author. The schools hide behind many rules, regulations, and supposed security. No one really knows how each teacher teaches and what is being said to each of the students. Heck, I learned how to cheat k-mart in highschool from a teacher.

Did anyone care if the teacher liked to tell stories rather than actually teach? Heck no. All you get is you need to do better in school. How can one learn when the teacher isn't actually teaching? See him during homeroom when he has at lest 10 other students needing help all at the same time? Yea right. That was my algerbria class, got a C- almost a D.

Go to college, and had to take one of those "refresher" courses, and got an A in the same subject. The difference? That teacher was serious about teaching and knew how.

That was how many years ago? Ummmm, I'm not going to reveal that. I do know things have gotten much worse in general than when I went. How do I know, since I haven't been to highschool in umteen years? My husband was a school bus driver for seven years, before getting his class A and going over the road.

These sweet little angles that could do no harm in the parent's eyes, did practically everything imaginable. He had to deal with shoes being thrown out the windows, arguements before they turned into fights, very loud racket, excessive swearing, and ect. I'll admit this was a worst case scenrio dealing with juveniles that went to the worst school in the district specifically for the deliquents. He had a student smash another student's head through a window. He drove for a bus company that had him on various runs in different school districts over the years. The only school he liked to drive for was the high dollar private school. He said those students were basically good. The others, he was glad to get away from them.

This happened just three years ago at a local playground. An older boy - junior high level or a little younger perhaps - climbed ontop of a slide overhang. My youngest daughter was sliding down. The boy on purpose waited until she was at the correct spot jumped down on the slide on top of her. His foot landed on her hip. She was all right.

If that could easily happen in a public playground, what do you think can and probablly is happening in the schools? I forgot the babysitter took the same basic action as the majority of teachers do. Nothing, absoutely nothing. Because of this, these kids feel they can practically get away with anything short of murder. They know full well that the teachers can't lay one hand on them.

This was a viedo I saw last year on a news website. A teacher had a young child - first or second grade - throwing a major fit. The kid was swinging and throwing things. Back in the good old days, she would have gotten a nice swat on her but. Not too long ago, a teacher would have grabbed her and made her sit in a chair until she calmed down. What did that teacher do? She had the rest of the class leave the class room. She stood by the child with her arms streached out, but not touching her. It was like she was trying to corner the child and doing a lousy job at it. She never once touched the child in any way. She waited for the police to arrive, who then handcuffed the child and lead the child out of the classroom.

With the lack of dicipline in the schools, and lack of student respect towards the teachers, I'm not suprised that things like in the viedo above are happening more and more frequently. It is no wonder kids can hardly learn in an atsmophere where the teacher has to take at least half of the class time just to get the kids settled down. Then have to deal with discpline problems, this, that, and everything else. I almost think that teacher just gave up. Or he possibly could have taken on the teachers mentality of how to deal with bullies. Let them fight. They need to learn how to deal with it themselves. It builds character and confidence in the one being bullied. Don't interfere. That was top notch bullying going on right there in the viedo.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Nothing beats a good smack on the bottom now and then

It happened to me and i grew up pretty much okay, in school i did what the teachers said to do, but then again that could have been due to the possibility of getting canned by the headmaster if you did something really bad

I did get canned once yet told the headmaster that it didnt hurt due to the fact that my dad was a lot worse
loved the look on his face when i said that.

But seriously if parents were more responsible and if the child protection laws werent that strong due to idiots that beat their kids more then needed we as a society would in general be better off. Much of this also comes from the 68er generation which allowed their kids to do as they please, these people also now sit in important positions in society propagting anti-authority child raising.

But i think there is a change coming about in thinking like this, at least here in germany it is so, people are questioning if it isnt better to be stricter to the kids.

And as to school bulling: my son is nearly 5 and very soon he will start to go to Karate, i myself will also teach him some Kickboxing. If more parents did this im sure there wouldnt be that many school bullies around

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
iori, How many kids complain about getting bullied at school? How many kids complain they don't want to go to school for various reasons?

I don't know the statistics for schools in other parts of the country, but
as for the schools I've gone to, never in high school, and very rarely in
Middle-School, and even than it was more the person being a jerk than
a bully.

The only problems we really ever have at my school is the occasional
stink bomb, a few kids coming to school on weed, though they are
hamnrless, and the occasional person who decides to not listen to the teacher, and ends up having the security person or the cop come down
and take them to the office.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
im 15, so i know what happens in schools, and its exactly like this, ive seen kids being punched and the teachers simply sit at their desk, not oblivious, rather just ignoring it, its the support teachers that are the worst, they just dont care.

even if they did tell the teacher, they either move you, tell you to move away from them (the kids run from end to end in some classrooms, moving away is not a solution) or say "dont do it" to the child in question. it doesnt end for them. however, most of the teachers will NOT allow this.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
my son is in 4th grade and he says there is a boy in his class that has problems. says he goes around hitting his classmates and pushing them down and just stays in trouble. says the boy gets sent to the principals office everyday. my son says that the boy hasnt really messed with him yet..but has hit a lot of his friends in the face. my son said if the boy ever hit him he was gonna knock his lights out. i just wonder why they let this boy back to class if he is doing this daily??

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I know a NYC school teacher. He's been in the system for years. MANY of the teachers have given up. Not because they don't care. Some of them care a great deal as a matter of fact. But the biggest problem is that somehow, over the years, the pendulum of power has swung over to the kids (and they know it) and the administration. The teachers themselves are helpless.

In a situation where the kids are unruly and out of control, if a teacher tries to control them, the only thing the kid needs do is walk up to that teacher and then say at the top of his lungs "Don't touch me like that!" and immediately, that teacher will be taken out in handcuffs. Even if an entire classroom of kids came forth and said the teacher was innocent, while the teacher MAY avoid criminal charges, he will most definitely be fired. If a fight breaks out in the classroom, the teacher has few choices. If he breaks up the fight, he runs the risk of having to actually touch one of the kids which is grounds for dismissal. (Most teachers these days even avoid taking the stairs in fear that they might bump up against a student and be accused of something.) Or, he can ask a security card to help, but then all sorts of paper work has to be filed and a hearing has to happen and then the teacher gets the "well, what did you do to set them off" type questions and then he gets marked as a "problem teacher" and then his life will get really difficult. Or, he can choose to do nothing, and let them do whatever they want. This way, he stays out of trouble, the kids stay out of trouble which means the parents are happy, and when the parents are happy, the administration is happy and when the administration is happy, they don't bother the teacher.

Yes. It really IS that f--ked up.

You want to fix the schools? You can't. You need to destroy the school system. Wipe it out completely. Its sick at its core. The administrators don't have a clue. The money goes to waste. The kids don't learn. It is irredeemable. The smartest people in the system are the teachers and they're beaten down, marginalized and ignored.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I never saw the video but, I've experienced it... WAY back in grade 9(last year lol) We use to light textbooks on fire swear and do basically whatever we wanted... but, only in some classes mostly my science class, the teacher never thought us anything, he just told stories of "cars going airborne and decapitating people" and stuff like that. As for going to school "on weed"... everyday man lol(don't believe what the government tells you about it, its harmless.)

I remember, we had a substitute teacher and he was strict but was no match for us... he called the office and 2 VP's came, one asked me why I was there, I said "To learn?" she asked the kid beside me why he was there and he answered the same and she was like "GET DOWN TO THE OFFICE!" it was jokes!

I think some teacher think they have too much authority. I can't believe they think they can denie a request to use the bathroom, they know they can't because I never let it get in my way... I love when they threaten to call the office when I just walk out I always say something like "what are you going to tell them, I have to go to the washroom... What are you going to do about it? They wont do anything" upon return, nothing.
I can't believe they think they can do that, If you have to go, you f--king have to go!

I went WAY off topic but... the teacher should have done something but, you can't blame the school system... its the teacher and i think there running low on teachers so they will take what they can get.

-Bumross

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have said it before and I'll say it again, why would you want to send you child to a government education facility? Its like going on vacation to a sewer treatment plant and complaining about the smell.

top topics

join