It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF controls 'robojet' from the skies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
video

this is very intresting
as the US goes with people in small rooms controling aircraft
the UK has opted to test in flight control where a piolet controls 3+ jets

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thanks Bodrul, nice video

I wrote about this concept quite a long time ago whebn I mentioned that the RAF was considering using a manned fighter, like a two seat Typhoon, as a 'UCAV-Leader' in future attack formations which have grown out of the now cancelled FOAS study.

Someone else replied and told me I was being an idiot

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
me personaly i think this is a great idea
what better then having a information transmitted thousends of miles which could cause errors and so on then have a manned post actuily in the air controling them with real time info

edit: enfo from bbc

bbc

In the system's first big test the Tornado pilot flew a passenger jet - a BAC-111 - and three computer-simulated craft while airborne.

In the exercise, Squadron Leader Andy Blythe successfully used his unmanned aircraft to search out an enemy target and destroy it.

According to Squadron Leader Richard Wells, a member of the RAF's Future Combat Air Capability team: "Militarily speaking not only does it allow the pilot to remain in a safe area - but it allows him to operate his team of unmanned aircraft and allow him to carry out the elements of the mission he wants to undertake."

But some independent commentators, such as Rohit Jaggi, aviation columnist for the Financial Times, believe that in the heat of battle pilots would be swamped with information and unable to engage in combat and control their robot planes.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Regarding the last paragraph of that quote, I suppose that's why they are using TWO seaters, so its not the pilots problem. Besides, the manned aircraft \can keep itself out of the way, which is surely one of the main points about this system.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
great video bodrul
i agree having a "pilot" on scene to adjust and refine than having
them 1000s of kilometers away.

top topics

join