It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Generation of Qaeda Chiefs Is Seen on Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   

New Generation of Qaeda Chiefs Is Seen on Rise

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON, April 1 — As Al Qaeda rebuilds in Pakistan’s tribal areas, a new generation of leaders has emerged under Osama bin Laden to cement control over the network’s operations, according to American intelligence and counterterrorism officials.

The new leaders rose from within the organization after the death or capture of the operatives that built Al Qaeda before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, leading to surprise and dismay within United States intelligence agencies about the group’s ability to rebound from an American-led offensive.

It has been known that American officials were focusing on a band of Al Qaeda training camps in Pakistan’s remote mountains, but a clearer picture is emerging about those who are running the camps and thought to be involved in plotting attacks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I don't know why anybody would be surprised by this news. Pakistan is doing little to help capture and/or kill Al Qaeda and since we can't go into their territory they have provided a safe haven for terrorists to recruit and thrive.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is hardly "news".

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Did you happen to read my opening post? That is the point I was trying to make. I posted the news article because it is being treated as new news.

top topics

join