It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big News for Formula One

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is an exclusive story from PaddockTalk, so I can't corroborate the story, but here it is and this is big, though not as unexpected as they want to make it sound. A number of the big teams have been threatening to break off and form their own GP series for a few years now and, to me, this looks like an Eccolstone/Mosely attempt to assuage the discontent while maintaining full control of the bucks.

...Formula One will announce that the Formula One series will be split into two divisions beginning in 2008 – One made up of the big money automotive manufacturers (w/ one top privateer), the other made up exclusively of privateers.

The manufacturer division will be made up of Ferrari, BMW, Honda, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota and privateer Williams (apparently because of its history, though it is likely to be a rotating position based on performance in the privateer division.)

The newly established privateer division will be Red Bull, Spyker Super Aguri, Toro Rosso, and the new Pro Driver team and two new applicants.

Each team in each series will run three cars.

www.paddocktalk.com

[edit on 2007/4/1 by GradyPhilpott]

Cug

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'm thinking this will really hurt the small teams. Would the sponsors spend the same amount when the cars get moved down to what will end up a support race?

But I have been disappointed in Formula one for years.. I really miss the time where F1 was more of an unlimited class. The six wheeled Tyrell, the Brabham fan car, the ground effect Lotus, the turbo's, etc... mmmmmmmm

Yea it cost a lot... but going faster always cost a lot.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
I'm thinking this will really hurt the small teams. Would the sponsors spend the same amount when the cars get moved down to what will end up a support race?

But, of course, the rationale for the change is to give the smaller teams a chance of winning races, instead of always running at the back of the pack.

Sponsors are always more willing to back winners, but it does seem that creating two divisions would tend to create a two tiered system in which one would become the redheaded stepchild.

But, what if the small team division creates better and more exciting races, even if they do run slower than the rich team division.

The fans have been calling F1 a high speed parade for years now and calling for more competitive races, with more excitement and passing and spins and all the things that have made NASCAR so popular.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Cug

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
DUH! Got me.. April 1st

[edit on 4/2/2007 by Cug]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Don't feel bad, it got me, too. As illogical as this move was, it was perfectly plausible in the wierd world of F1. To me, it sounded just like the thing that Mosley/Eccolstone would come up with to keep the big boys from splitting off into their on series.

Oh, well. That's the only one I fell for.

[edit on 2007/4/2 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

join