It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Prime Directive"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The Star Trek series popularized the notion of a moral imperative of noninterference observed by intelligent beings exploring space and encountering lesser-developed beings.

My question is this:

Do you think aliens have a "Prime Directive"?

And would you as a space explorer enforce the "Prime Directive"?

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I think what you have to realize is that such a "directive" is impossible. Alien societies are probably even more complex than ours, with huge chunks of the population probably having access to interstellar travel. I don't think it would be possible to uniformly enforce such a policy forbidding contact with undeveloped worlds.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Personally, I think that, for the few, and it's my belief it's only one or
two in our galaxy, intelligent species that have interstellar travel
capabilities, they probably do follow something like the prime directive.

I think what you have to realize is that such a "directive" is impossible. Alien societies are probably even more complex than ours, with huge chunks of the population probably having access to interstellar travel. I don't think it would be possible to uniformly enforce such a policy forbidding contact with undeveloped worlds.

You assume that interstellar spaceships would be as common as cars,
which is highly unlikely.

Apart from that, who's to say they would come here?

Think about it, people don't generally go onto restricted property
unless they are allowed.

Or it could be to that there psychology is very different than ours,
and such a notion a prime directive like idea is ingrained into them.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Yes, I think they do. But it is not what you might think from a Star Trek perspective. I think these aliens/visitors are in the process of genetically modifying certain animal species - us - to enhance our already aggressive tendencies. To what end I can only guess, galactic war perhaps? Who knows. So now we have an idea what the probings are all about. They want to stick it to us before we stick it to them. Fascinating......

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think they may indeed have a prime directive.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If aliens do exist and are in our vicinity, I absolutely do not believe they have some sort of prime directive that would prohibit them from intervening with our world. Infact, it makes a certain sense to view world religions as having been "inspired" by alien visitation.

It makes perfect sense to me that an alien race could have come to Earth and disseminated the ideas behind our origins and such, and then watched as humans took over the stories to turn them into various religions, etc. Would make a great social experiment.

Regardless, i don't believe aliens would come here and not intervene. Why spend all those resources to get here if you're not going to interact? Besides, with all the alien abduction stories and animal mutilations, it appears as though they don't have much problems involving themselves.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
the very purpose of attaining the ability of space flight, is so that the species that does, can one day find and INTERACT with new species, thus sorta making it unlikely (atleast for the first few times) that any species capable of contacting an alien species would not take the opportunity to pop by and say hello & maybe to maintain the ability to keep seeing eachother they might just share their travel technology with the new species so it isnt always a one sided journey :-)
not speaking from experience ofcourse

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist

Imagine if you were a young immature member of an advanced alien species on a craft covertly observing an developing world, wouldn't the curiousity be immense as to what they are? could they have something in common with us? are they friendly? etc etc

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
If aliens do exist and are in our vicinity, I absolutely do not believe they have some sort of prime directive that would prohibit them from intervening with our world. Infact, it makes a certain sense to view world religions as having been "inspired" by alien visitation.

It makes perfect sense to me that an alien race could have come to Earth and disseminated the ideas behind our origins and such, and then watched as humans took over the stories to turn them into various religions, etc. Would make a great social experiment.

Regardless, i don't believe aliens would come here and not intervene. Why spend all those resources to get here if you're not going to interact? Besides, with all the alien abduction stories and animal mutilations, it appears as though they don't have much problems involving themselves.

Like the Taelons fron the fictional series Earth:Final Conflict?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
The Star Trek series popularized the notion of a moral imperative of noninterference observed by intelligent beings exploring space and encountering lesser-developed beings.

My question is this:

Do you think aliens have a "Prime Directive"?

And would you as a space explorer enforce the "Prime Directive"?

Where do you think Gene Roddenberry got the idea for the Prime Directive?

All I know is that if there is an advanced civilization out there, they probably do follow the Prime Directive, otherwise they would have made it known to all mankind that they exist, right?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I believe "most" species (there probably aren't very many intelligent species that have interstellar travel, and they probably never encounter one another even if they do) have a prime directive simply because they can learn more about intelligent life by observing it than by interacting with it. I don't believe in any of the bad fanfiction written in this thread.

top topics

join