It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'retard'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I HATE this insult.. makes me cringe. It's not the being called it I find offensive.. but the fact that people are so uncivilised that they think using the word is okay. It's thrown around in RL and on message boards and mods usually turn a blind eye to it. If someone calls someone 'n-word' [which I find equally distateful.. and I usually say the 'n' word but I'm illustrating a point] it's the worst insult possible.. but people with disabilites aren't afforded the same respect as fellow human beings? Why can't people have debate without dehumanising an entire group of people? What happened to civil rights for everybody?
It's an absolute disgrace.

edit. I actually wrote 'n-word' and the automatic censor changed it to 'n'word. I guess some groups of people are more worthy of protection than others..

[edit on 31-3-2007 by riley]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well i can tell you one thing, Its not something you should see on ATS if we can help it,

I agree the term is an insult and one i personal do not agree with being thrown about,

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Well i can tell you one thing, Its not something you should see on ATS if we can help it,

I was actually going to make a gripe and ask for the word to be censored but I can't seem to find it..

I agree the term is an insult and one i personal do not agree with being thrown about,

Thats very reassuring.. thankyou.

Hopefully times will change and others will realise it's just as bad as being racist, sexist etc. It's worse IMO.. there are severly disabled who aren't able to defend themselves at all. Life [can be] difficult enough without giving them extra bs to deal with.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

I was actually going to make a gripe and ask for the word to be censored but I can't seem to find it..

Although I absolutely agree with your premise, I'm against having the word automatically censored. There is a legitimate use for the word. As I'm sure you know, it means "to slow down". As in "implementation of your theory would retard progress", for example.

I used to belong to a sports forum (since deceased) that had such a strict censor when I posted anything about Dick Butkus it printed out as "# Butkus". Hopefully, we can foster an environment of civil discourse without resorting to automatic censoring.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Although I absolutely agree with your premise, I'm against having the word automatically censored.

I'm usually against censorship however when it's applied I prefer it to be across the board. Biggotry is biggotry.

There is a legitimate use for the word. As I'm sure you know, it means "to slow down". As in "implementation of your theory would retard progress", for example.

I guess so.. but I rarely see it used in a legit context yet frequently see it hurled as an insult without hesitation. Imo it's at least grounds for warning to try disuade people from using it. I couldn't really care less about people being called it.. what I do care about is people with disabilities who happen to read it being insulted. People need to show some respect.

Hopefully, we can foster an environment of civil discourse without resorting to automatic censoring.

Couldn't agree more.. might take a few years though.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I'm usually against censorship however when it's applied I prefer it to be across the board. Biggotry is biggotry.

Okay, let's approach this from another angle. The other BIG reason I'm against censorship in general is that it serves a cosmetic purpose only. Forbidding the use of a particular word does nothing to fight bigotry; it only masks it. My personal opinion is that people be allowed to use the words they want to express their thoughts. It makes it much simpler to see who and what you're dealing with.

It's the next best thing to requiring someone to wear a sign that says, "I'm a Big Ignorant Fool". This would save a whole lot of time and effort in ferreting out the goofs. I understand why this isn't practical on a board with the demographics this one has, but as a general rule, the less auto-censorship there is, the better. Leave it to the mods to handle the issues.

IMO.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
You can't apply censorship to the n-word, and "retard" evenly.

One of the two has a pretty legitimate use.

Remember to keep your leftovers in the refrigerator, to retard the growth of bacteria.

See what I mean?

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Okay, let's approach this from another angle. The other BIG reason I'm against censorship in general is that it serves a cosmetic purpose only. Forbidding the use of a particular word does nothing to fight bigotry; it only masks it.

True.. I agree it's better to use consequence to discourage it rather than white-washing it's use.

My personal opinion is that people be allowed to use the words they want to express their thoughts. It makes it much simpler to see who and what you're dealing with.

Again I agree.. but if one group is going to be protected.. all should be.

It's the next best thing to requiring someone to wear a sign that says, "I'm a Big Ignorant Fool". This would save a whole lot of time and effort in ferreting out the goofs.

eh- they're like drunks vomiting in pubs. Close the bar to them before it I have to worry about my shoes.

Originally posted byspacedoubt

Actually I've seen the the n-word used in jest [moreso by non whites] more than used as an insult.

Remember to keep your leftovers in the refrigerator, to retard the growth of bacteria.

See what I mean?

Yeah- though the points already been made. My OP wasn't really about it's censoring anyway.. that was a sidenote when I noticed a racial insult had been censored. My point is that the insult 'retard' is used without any consideration or respect for those with disabilites. How is that acceptable? It's like they're fair game to pick on.

[edit on 1-4-2007 by riley]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I completely agree; It reminds me of an argument I had a long time ago about using the word "gay" as a substitute for "stupid" or anything else negative.

But I've realized that when someone calls another person a "retard" or "gay" in inappropriate context, it insults the person saying it more than the person to whom it's directed.

It's an easy way to tell an intellectual, civilized person from a childish, irrational one.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

See what I mean?

Agreed! However, I would like to see a penelty for thoes who use the word "retard" as an insault against other members. Most words used as insaults have other uses to.

Tim

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
insulting is just so wrong and bad.....just makes me go frenzy inside.
"retard" is an insult no matter how u look at it and not an insult to realy slow people but to you from the attacker saying it like u look silly,pathetic and all u do is ****....i personaly think they should ban insults from every forum,make some BIG rules and everyone will be polite,couse one stupid insult can ruin ur cool day D:
about the n word i dont know why black people hate it so much maybe couse haters say that to them and make em feel uncomfortable...
here in buglaria we love to call each other n***** and we aint even black,talkin all gangsta
for me its sounds cool and like saying "dude",a dont wanna say anything bad to a man when i call him n**** and yet i heard u may got shot on the street for saying it....
i dont see why people hate other skin people or other religion peole,the only black and white people i hate are those who can rob me

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Although I absolutely agree with your premise, I'm against having the word automatically censored. There is a legitimate use for the word.

My profile has been vandalised with "retard" jokes.. I hope this convinces ATS admin and members that the word does need to be censored.

I have NEVER seen this word used here in any context other than an insult.

On a personal note I have a disabled relative and have worked with the disabled for many years.. and no doubt there are ATS members with varying disabilties. It is JUST AS as degrading as the N word.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by riley]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paresthesia
I completely agree; It reminds me of an argument I had a long time ago about using the word "gay" as a substitute for "stupid" or anything else negative.

But I've realized that when someone calls another person a "retard" or "gay" in inappropriate context, it insults the person saying it more than the person to whom it's directed.

It's an easy way to tell an intellectual, civilized person from a childish, irrational one.
nail head the on

You can tell alot from what people seem to think is an acceptable insult.It tells you much more about them than they realise.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It's funny. Actually several years ago I used to use the term retarded to describe myself when I made a stupid remark, or did something stupid amongst my friends. I would do something stupid and say "I swear I must be retarded."
Now I have a totally new point of view. I've heard people use the word 'retarded' to describe my son. It hurts more than you know. He doesn't truly get it, but he does understand it's not a compliment.
I've posted a hundred times my use of different disparaging words. My views. My feelings. My disgust.
I have a hard time being objective, but I can say this. The word retarded, is insulting. Will I raise my hands and fight when someone says it? Of course not. But I have a raised awareness of it.
OK, here goes - I'm going to be politically incorrect once again. BIG TIME. Sorry, just the man I am. To be honest and hit the issues head on.
Have I used the 'N' word. Yes I have. But not to describe a people. Just an individual. I've gone over this several times in threads. Dr. King is a hero, and no N-word. Pitcher, Douglas, Malcom, Carver, Powell, gosh the list could go on for pages of people of color are heroes and men/women who are to be respected. The amount of melanin in a mans skin means nothing. His mindset does. My definition of an N-word? A freakin' idiot who cares about no one else and is willing to put others in harms way to protect a false sense of self worth. Timothy McVeigh - a caucasion - is an N word.
Have I used the word midget? Yes I have. I didn't understand the insult I was throwing out.
As the son of Italian immigrants I've been called a Dego, and a Wop. I've been called an idiot for spending years of my life being trained to protect my country and follow orders. Personally I could care less. Ho-Hum....... The sun will still rise. My Philly teams will still lose. My love for my son will still continue to grow.
I would prefer not to hear the word retard. I still believe the world is becoming to PC, and understand that there are those that just don't get the pain that can be attached to a word. I was one of those people. I no longer am.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Sticks and stones my break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Unless you are in the states: Calling someone anything could get you shot!

Language is a evolutionary process and a lot like sex: you really need to think about what you put where and when you put it there, a little slip and things can get awfully messy!

MonKey

[edit on 15/4/08 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
If you banned the word "retard" you may as well ban any french typing then.

retard = late....ATS is still a "global" site isn't it, or is english obligatory.

If you don't like the word so much, why did you bring it up for discussion by ranting about it?

Each use of the word "retard" should be taken in context, if used as an insult here, it would'nt go un-missed I'm sure.

What about the "advance and retard" settings on my engine timing, I couldn't discuss them could I, or ..."vous êtes en retard" now there's a good one
No, I didn't just say "you are a retard", but "you're late" in French.

Personally I think "moron" is one of the more insulting words to use directly.
Especially when armed with the knowledge of it's origins and true definition.

dictionary.com...
moron:
1910, from Gk. (Attic) moron, neut. of moros "foolish, dull" (probably cognate with Skt. murah "idiotic;" L. morus "foolish" is a loan-word from Gk.). Adopted by the American Association for the Study of the Feeble-minded with a technical definition "adult with a mental age between 8 and 12;" used as an insult since 1922 and subsequently dropped from technical use. Linnæus had introduced morisis "idiocy."

But as my little "monkey" friend says: sticks and stones........
they're only words

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
If you banned the word "retard" you may as well ban any french typing then.

retard = late....ATS is still a "global" site isn't it, or is english obligatory.

Actually english is the official preference.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
1i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of these Terms & Conditions, you agree not to post in any language other than English.

..using language as an excuse to use potentially insulting words is a bit of a copout imo.

If you don't like the word so much, why did you bring it up for discussion by ranting about it?

1. Because that is what the rant forum is FOR. [imagine that..
]
2. To draw attention to it.

Each use of the word "retard" should be taken in context, if used as an insult here, it would'nt go un-missed I'm sure.

AGAIN.. just in case you didn't read my other post:

I have NEVER seen this word used here in any context other than an insult.

..and I'm sure people could use other words if need arises.

Personally I think "moron" is one of the more insulting words to use directly.
Especially when armed with the knowledge of it's origins and true definition.

dictionary.com...
moron:
1910, from Gk. (Attic) moron, neut. of moros "foolish, dull" (probably cognate with Skt. murah "idiotic;" L. morus "foolish" is a loan-word from Gk.). Adopted by the American Association for the Study of the Feeble-minded with a technical definition "adult with a mental age between 8 and 12;" used as an insult since 1922 and subsequently dropped from technical use. Linnæus had introduced morisis "idiocy."

I didn't ask for or need an english lesson.
The FACT is the insult is a well established DIRECT reference to mentally retarded/disabled people and is therefore extremily biggoted and derogatory towards them.. it doesn't just mean someone who is a little foolish or dull.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by riley]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I know there's no chance of having this word censored.. but case in point I still think it should be deleted by mods when it's used as a slur:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 20-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I complained about someone saying (paraphrased) "the woman is an absolute retard" yet the word was allowed to remain. It might seem like I am being pedantic but racial slurs like the n-word are not tolerated and the other week a news story about people with disabilities in Bolivia rioting was met with a spate of posts saying how funny it was.

I am disapointed that ATS is not consistant with protecting members equally.
edit on 27-3-2012 by riley because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join