It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran + Hostages = $ ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
this thought just occurred to me after reading this story

"NEW YORK — Crude oil prices surged above $66 a barrel Thursday, driven to a new six-month high by concerns that strained relations between Iran and the West could put oil exports in jeopardy as U.S. gasoline supplies wane and demand swells."

www.foxnews.com...

Is it a calculated ploy by Iran to drive up oil prices? Higher prices mean more income for them, are they calulating that we are too strung out to be able to respond and assist the British?

Be gentle, its my first post on this board

edit...maybe this should be in peak oil forum?
[edit on 29-3-2007 by RickinVa]

Mod Edit: Please Review The Link Below

Quote Reference

[edit on 3/30/2007 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
High oil prices are not just good for Iran - they are good for the people who own the oil companies.

Now, think about oil companies and who owns them......

....as always follow the money.

(personally I believe this is a staged event)

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Good point, I guess war is still number one money maker for the war profiteers.

So Iran is not the only want to make money, I think they are making none right now, but hey look at the gas prices in our own nation and guess who is the ones benefiting. . .

Like deessell said . . .follow the money . . .

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
High oil prices are not just good for Iran - they are good for the people who own the oil companies.

How staged? I'm thinking Iran had this planned for a while - all they had to do was observe the UK navy movements and jump at the right time.

But do you think any one 'allowed' this to happen? I seriously doubt any one UK side of things wanted this.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

How staged? I'm thinking Iran had this planned for a while - all they had to do was observe the UK navy movements and jump at the right time.

But do you think any one 'allowed' this to happen? I seriously doubt any one UK side of things wanted this.

Peace.

Ha, I was actually thinking it was staged from the other end - not from Iran. Go figure. What does Iran have to gain out of this? Who gains the most?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I can see how oil companies would profit... but that doesnt really explain the actions by Iran, the world is already watching... why risk an attack by such a foolish action, unless they calculate that the increased revenue from higher prices will offset any sanctions imposed on them?

edit: forgot that I am talking to the world, obviously I am Amercian and thats what I meant by "we" in the original post

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Perhaps oil companies are cashing out of the situation with Iran and not necessarily because it was staged, but just a littler lucky and timely incident that will work as a bonus to profit from.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Ha, I was actually thinking it was staged from the other end - not from Iran. Go figure. What does Iran have to gain out of this? Who gains the most?

Iran did gain something. Leverage.

Untill now they have only been dealing with the west on political terms.

Now they are dealing also on a hearts and minds level, people at home can now relate. I can, HMS Cornwall is based in my home town. (not that I know any of the hostages personally).
Here is an example this 'personal' leverage.

p.s. the I highlighted that paragraph for a previous post - the reason being that I thought the language was forced - as if translated.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I see what you mean, they are making a point that this prisoners are been treated with care.

Far different from the Abu Graib prisoners in Iraq after invasion.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I see what you mean, they are making a point that this prisoners are been treated with care.

Far different from the Abu Graib prisoners in Iraq after invasion.

Yeah, but that section I highlighted seems important - to me any way.

She is from the general area I come from. The language does not seem very natural. It seems to me that a certain outline for this letter was handed down, and then personalised. The dialect seems a bit off, "well and safe"? I know I would say 'safe and well' - that mabe nothing. But "a constant supply of fluids"? This is a letter to her kids and family - not her doctor.

I really believe Faye chose to overlook thease 'lost in translation' moments to let people know this letter was forced. I'm 100% sure prople who know her will see that a mile off.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
So the UK planned for their people to get captured so.....what exactly. It would help them out absolutely none. Iran gains money from oil sales and shows the UK and the USA that they can capture some of our guys/gals when they want if we arent careful.

To think this was staged by the US or UK is beyond nutsy.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Why don't they just stop the brinksmanship and apologize. How hard is it to apologize for entering another country with a warship? A yacht would be different. A warship is definitely trying to provoke what is already a tense situation.

How hard is it to pick up a phone? Silly little humans.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   
You really can get a conspiracy out of anything

What possible reason would the coalition have to expect the Iranians to hold onto them for so long and turn this into a full-on International debate? Just to get oil prices up a week later?

Isthistaken
Why don't they just stop the brinksmanship and apologize. How hard is it to apologize for entering another country with a warship? A yacht would be different. A warship is definitely trying to provoke what is already a tense situation.How hard is it to pick up a phone? Silly little humans.

Why do you believe the Iranian side of this? What do you say about the TWO GPS coordinates given by Iran, the first of which in Iraqi waters? Or, are you talking about Iran entering IRAQI waters and they should apologise? If you do mean the Royal Navy, then the "warship" (HMS Cornwall) was not surrounded, the tiny RHIB boats were.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I agree, the story seemed too artificial, the Brits were far too passive. And it is western oil companies that will make the huge fortunes

www.davidicke.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I have to believe there is more to this than a few navy personel straying a little too far into Iranian waters. Why would Iran go this far? Why not just turn them back. There's more here than we know.

Was The British-Iranian Hostage Crisis Staged?

He also went on to illustrate how viritually inconceivable it is that such an event (like the alleged "ambush" of British Military personnel by the Iranians) could actually happen: given the fact that the area of water where this event supposedly took place was well within the Radar Scope of HMS Cornwall (not to mention a whole host of other vessels: WHICH WERE ALL MYSTERIOUSLY ABSENT at the moment when the Iranian interception party appeared on the scene!)

Suspicious Circumstances Preceded Hostage Crisis

On the day the soldiers and sailors were siezed by the Iranians - I noticed on one BBC report that the reporter opened up by saying "We've been on HMS Cornwall - where the Sailors and Marines we're based for a couple of days now ....." or somesuch .. isn't is amazing how the BBC / Navy chose THAT ship to have a reporter on board for a couple of days beforehand and who is in place and able to immediately report on this "unexpected" turn

I believe it was David Icke (don't roll eyes just yet) that makes the assertion that wars are intentional and planned by secret groups pulling the strings behind the scenes.

I think you have a very valid point.
Notice oil prices climbing again. Get ready for another round of record profits by the oil companies and huge pensions because fo it while the average joe takes it up the arse.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

On the day the soldiers and sailors were siezed by the Iranians - I noticed on one BBC report that the reporter opened up by saying "We've been on HMS Cornwall - where the Sailors and Marines we're based for a couple of days now ....." or somesuch .. isn't is amazing how the BBC / Navy chose THAT ship to have a reporter on board for a couple of days beforehand and who is in place and able to immediately report on this "unexpected" turn

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that Iran has BBC news 24!! Hey I could subscribe to Al-Jezera if I felt like it.

Think its more likely they had something along these lines planned for a while - circumstance just dictated events.

top topics

join