It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piri Reis Map - Proof of Lost Civilisations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

In 1953, a Turkish naval officer sent the Piri Reis map to the U.S. Navy Hydrographic Bureau. To evaluate it, M.I. Walters, the Chief Engineer of the Bureau, called for help Arlington H. Mallery, an authority on ancient maps, who had previously worked with him.
After a long study, Mallery discovered the projection method used. To check out the accuracy of the map, he made a grid and transferred the Piri Reis map onto a globe: the map was totally accurate. He stated that the only way to draw map of such accuracy was the aerial surveying: but who, 6000 years ago, could have used airplanes to map the earth??

The Hydrographic Office couldn't believe what they saw: they were even able to correct some errors in the present days maps!!
The precision on determining the longitudinal coordinates, on the other hand, shows that to draw the map it was necessary to use the spheroid trigonometry, a process supposedly not know until the middle of 18th century.

Hapgood has proved that the Piri Re'is map is plotted out in plane geometry, containing latitudes and longitudes at right angles in a traditional "grid"; yet it is obviously copied from an earlier map that was projected using spherical trigonometry! Not only did the early map makers know that the Earth was round, but they had knowledge of its true circumference to within 50 miles!

Hapggod had sent his collection of ancient maps (we will see the Piri reis map was not the only one...) to Richard Strachan, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Hapggod wanted to know exactly the mathematical level needed in order to draw the original source maps. Strachan answered in 1965, saying that the level had to be very high.
In fact Strachan said that in order to draw such maps, the authors had to know about the spheroid trigonometry, the curvature of the earth, methods of projection; knowledge that is of a very high level.

Taken From:
www.world-mysteries.com...

Mods please feel free to move to Lost Civilisations.

[edit on 29-3-2007 by smartie]

```````````````````````
fixed link and moved as requested

[edit on 26/4/07 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Very interesting stuff, but does it prove lost civilizations, or just advanced knowledge further back than we currently know of? I do believe that there have been advanced civilizations in the past that cataclysms have destroyed, causing us to have to start over, I'm just not sure that this is proof of it.

Enjoyed the post, THX

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Yeah, this map takes up a large chunk of Chariots of the Gods, the first real eye-opening book i ever read.

The entirety of the book discusses the evidence that there was once an advanced civilisation on the planet, or that an advanced civilisation visited and 'created' us as we know ourselves today, as in gave the early humanoids an evolutionary edge by sharing knowledge / tools or simply by interbreeding.

Very good reading, and this map is a very good piece of our strange history.

PS (I don't spell civilisation wrong... that is how we spell it here!
)

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well Arlington Mallery, a retired US Navy Captain-turned-cartographer had said that "those maps could not have been drawn with such exactitude unless they were guided by aerial observation!".
So that statement suggests that either ancient civilization had means to fly (and more advanced knowledge of astronomy than we previuosly thought), or were "given" the knowledge from "someone" who had the technological know-how to achieve the geographic detail and accuracy that those maps show.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
We discussed these in a thread quite some time ago here. It's amazing to me that so few people have ever heard of them given their implications. If nothing else, it seems to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that human history, as we've been told it, is just plain wrong.

top topics

join