It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IS ATS Phishing?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is just something within WINDOWS a "SETTING" per se ... That automatically does this ... TO ALL OF YOUR USER NAME AND PW settings ... check that out ... It does that for all the sites ... AM I CORRECT ????

Originally posted by khunmoon
Don't know if it's right to mention it here, but it has to do with log-in and password.

The very few times I log-out of ATS and log-in again the following happens:

After entering username and I click in the password field it instantly autofills. Obviously with the correct password.

Is that a normal procedure for login on ATS?

If the case someone has stolen my password and can enter my account I just wanna mentioned I've never seen anything written in my name, but what I've written myself.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
IT CAN VERY WELL BE DONE !!!

We have a long list of safeguards that prevents browser hijacking by the content a member would post.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Skeptic ... The only thing that I want you to admit is that MANY MANY MANY protection programs are only as good as the Programmers made them. Whether it is cleaning out the registry ... or cleaning out the Cookies ... Constantly .. It can be done???? Although I cannot do such MAGIC .... HAHAHA ...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

IT CAN VERY WELL BE DONE !!!

We have a long list of safeguards that prevents browser hijacking by the content a member would post.

I guess it can be compared to when MEN said that they would never FLY and look at them now ... Where can we not FLY TOO ????

[edit on 28-3-2007 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

This is just something within WINDOWS a "SETTING" per se ... That automatically does this ... TO ALL OF YOUR USER NAME AND PW settings ... check that out ... It does that for all the sites ... AM I CORRECT ????

Don't know if it's right to mention it here, but it has to do with log-in and password.

The very few times I log-out of ATS and log-in again the following happens:

After entering username and I click in the password field it instantly autofills. Obviously with the correct password.

Is that a normal procedure for login on ATS?

If the case someone has stolen my password and can enter my account I just wanna mentioned I've never seen anything written in my name, but what I've written myself.

No, you're not correct. Besides from ATS it only autofills on my blogspot account. Which suggests its only on sites where I do an input it does so.

I suspect somebody is manipulating my computer. For instance for the last two weeks my Spy Sweeper has not detected one single cookie -- used to detect a dozen every day. The summary says I have 800+ cookies.

Can I just delete them all?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This is an internet browser setting. No one is manipulating your computer. I have my IE set to do that for me on my computer as well, because it's easier. You can set firefox and others to remember your passwords so that you don't even have to type them in when you go to a password protected site. It'll fill them in for you and you just have to hit the login button.

[edit on 3/29/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I admit I have a tendency of paranoia on anything connected with the net and computers and reading threads like this doesn't make it better.

When Brandon comes on and declares it should work the same on all accounts and it doesn't, it sure not make me feel any better.

I have messed with browser settings and do remember seing the option autofill, but wether I have altered it I just don't have any idea.

Maybe you can tell me where to find it and I can try switch it off to see if it changes anything.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What browser are you using?

Firefox:
Under Tools, Options, Security. Uncheck the "Remember passwords for sites"

IE:
Tools, Internet Options, Content, Click Autocomplete, adjust the settings, and clear your passwords.

After you do that, clear your cookies, and history, then come back to ATS and see what happens.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
DONE!! ...and it worked.

Thank you Zaphod!! You made my day.

Now I'm just curious if my Spy Sweeper will work again.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Delete away ... You can delete any and all cookies you want to .. You may have to pull that User Name and PW: up in your Little Black book ... But ... It wil not affect anything ... EVER !! Well unless you have too many Cookies and the site needs room to save (TEMPORARY INFORMATION) on your computer ... that people call COOKIES ...

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
-20 points because i quoted and didnt remove 2 extra lines from the post? BS

[edit on 4-4-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Now I'm just curious if my Spy Sweeper will work again.

Did you ever consider the fact that one of your anti-viruses is now blocking the majority of cookies you get?
My AVG free (the best AV on the NET) updates daily (even on weekends and holidays) so the number of evil cookies my Spyware shooter finds has dropped rapidly over time.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hey OP,

This is auxilary to your problem but it needs to be said.

Too much software that is involved with network services like software firewalls, av's and the like will drag your pc down.

These programs will run services even if the interface is not running.

You should have only 2 firewalls, a hardware and a software one. THe software one should be an application based packet filter and the hardware one should be SPI.

If you are worried about security use a NAT gateway (say an old pII or pIII).

Another thing is to set up a DMZ on your router firewall were incoming requests are forwarded to a non existant ip thus preventing unrequested connections.

And then occasionally do a virus boot scan as your regular maintenance.

Best way instead of relying on half a dozen resident virii scanners

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yes, and buy a Macintosh with Mac OS X on it... Viruses and malwares are unknown there...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
With the implementation of IE7 i thought i would go back and try it out to see just how well they had made it. After one week my adaware pro had gone from finding maybe 10 little cookies to 8 spywares, 15 adwares and over 1000 non-solicited cookies. Noogies to IE.

I would tend to agree: Microsoft is notorious for inserting spyware as an integral part of the Windows operating systems. Bill Gates & the current executives of MS are spending a lot of their time in courtrooms...

If you'd like an indication of how bad MS really is, there's a link below that you may find interesting. However, before I show you the link, I must point out something:
The name of the website (on the homepage) is "Microsuck," changed because the original name was found to be "offensive" to certain people...However, they could not change the actual web address that you should type into your browser. The official web address uses a word that causes the auto-censors here at ATS to react: When you click the link & see it in the text-window that directs your browser, simply replace the number-sign with the "F-word" & you'll get to the website.

Here's the (ATS-censored) link: Microsuck

BTW, Microsuck's official "tagline" reads: Free your mind & your OS will follow.

[edit on 19-6-2007 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Why would ATS PHISH ??? Other people PHISH to get access to ATS through the other peoples PW and USer name.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
Did you just call SO flawed?

'scuse me whilst I hide under my desk.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense - it's totally out of context.

"Flawed" is how a New Englander pronounces "florid", as in, "His face was florid after consuming large quantities of wine"

or

"I took the fam down to Flaweda for vacation this year".

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
the fact that you're using ie and norton could be the problem, they are both complete garbage with a long long list of problems. if theres any phishing its probably an activex control you already have in your system. use firefox, not ie. also ditch norton and use f-prot.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
www.microsoft.com

www.microsoft.com

hm, interesting.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I was a computer tech by trade (still am in essence, just can't work anymore) and spent years working in schools where kids will do ANYTHING to get pron for free on a T3 line, government and MIC and even a backstreet family computer store (got so many industry accreditations I find I have no room on business cards to spell out my name).

I agree that this is almost likely to be a generic request for a security tag rather than ATS trying to pull info from you. Could even be one program not sending its own security tag back to its server fast enough because IT'S being checked by one of the others, so the info is getting sidetracked. Have you noticed it do it anywhere else on the 'net?

Have you considered visiting the site while you turn off some of the stuff? I'd turn off the virus killers and the firewall one by one until the message no longer comes up and then turn it back on and try it again. If it returns you've found what's causing it.

I would imagine its Norton, they went downhill a while back and never recovered, same with Panda - the online scanner for Panda which used to be free now asks for payment to delete 'viruses and malware' which if I were stupid, I'd have done. It was nothing more than a couple of thousand cookies (it found over 10k cookies, and labelled them viruses).

I used to have a friend in the family who asked me to take a look at his new quad core machine after he said it was going really slowly - just bought it, got it home after the tech guy in the store recommended this pack of security software for an extra £200. He said it was going superfast, and then all of a sudden it took twenty minutes to boot up and chugged like a drunk Irishman at a Guinness festival. So he wanted to know what virus he had and what else to put on there to stop it since the 'package' clearly wasn't working. There was 4 virus killers, three malware scanners, several firewalls and various other crap loaded in the background, all competing not only for disk access, memory access, but dropping his DSL bandwidth too, it was not fun to plug this baby into my bench and watch it squirm.

Another friend, had about 500 REAL viruses and assorted nasties just from one accidental MSN hack that his kid had clicked on. He, unfortunately, was using Norton at the time (as per my recommendation back then). I had to format just to get it normal again and they stole his credit card info and godknows what.

I recommend AVG and Sunbelt Kerio firewall personally (and if you are extra paranoid, perhaps also a hardware firewall or turn it on at your modem if it supports it).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join