It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim or Moslem? Does it matter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I have worked closely for years with several Muslims from Indonesia.
During this time I have enjoyed several conversations with them about the differences in our culture, language....ect.

One of them got angry the other day when I used the term " Moslem" instead of "Muslim".

He could not really explain why he was offended though. His English was limited and my Indonesian is nearly non-existent. I did manage to get out of him that he considered the use of the term , "Moslem" to be offensive.
On the par with using the "N" word, if you know what I mean.

What gives? When I was growing up "Moslem" was considered the appropriate term to use in this context.

Is this a case of it now being politically incorrect?
I have no desire to offend anyone, just curious as to why it is now inappropriate.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Muslim is writen and spoken as Muslim
Moslem sounds like a bad interpitation to english

for example when i say muslim in bangla is moslem
but in an asian accent it sounds like muslim

very hard to explain

check out my refrence to islam for more about islam

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
are u sure they practice islam?

if an indian who practices hindu is called a muslim or moslem they'd be VERY angry!!

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
are u sure they practice islam?

YEs, I'm sure they are Muslim. I have worked with them for quite some time now, I sometimes drop them off to their Mosque on Fridays.

From what I gather from my continued discussions with them, It all has to do with the English pronunciation. A Muslim in Arabic means "one who gives himself to God," .

Nut when using the word Moslem, Ipays to keep in mind that in Arabic it means "one who is evil and unjust" when the word is pronounced, as it is in English, Mozlem with a z.

So I evidently pronounced it wrong and that was upset them.

top topics

join