It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Gas Explosion - Possible chemical weapons accident?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
On my daily news scan i overlooked the chinese report that 191 people were killed in a gas explosion in southern china, i've never heard a story like it before, it seems an entire natural gas field exploded killing all those people, mostly civilians, yet theres ZERO pictures of the facilities that exploded, or the field itself, all we're being told is that it exploded and people are being evacuated.

For toxic fumes they are evacuating an esimated 31,000 people, which seems rather harsh by chicomm standards, that government wouldn't think twice about letting them all die and calling it an act of revolution.

The evidence isn't adding up in my eyes, theres no pictures of the explosion, the people who died were "civilians" and now they're evacuating 31,000 people in the area. This screams of a possible biological/chemical weapons accident.

Thoughts/comments?

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Sounds strange. I wonder where exactly it happened, and if there are any plants there, or if there is even a gas field.

But then again, maybe China was being totally honest. You said they said it was a "gas explosion", but not what kind of gas...

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   
o wow

31,000 evacuated....the #'s too big, therefore the explosion must have been huge.
there ARE terrorist groups in china...that do horrendous things, they make alqaida look like the good guys,
so no doubt...china? why not

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Here is a link to an article of many on this:
"China Gas Field Blow-Out Kills at Least 191"
Link: (Reuters)
news.myway.com...|top|12-25-2003::10:05|reuters.html

As to your question....I kind of doubt that this would be a "possible chemical weapons accident."

Here's a bit why I think not:
"Xinhua said sulphurated hydrogen is a toxic gas that can poison or kill people who inhale 760 to 1,000 milligrams per cubic meter."

Hydrogen Sulfide is just as deadly as cyanide. Thats simple fact and simply the reason for the high numbers and the evacuations, and evacuations on such a large scale. This is probably taking into possible account wind direction, etc.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Seekerof,

H2S (hydrogen sulfide gas) or "sourgas" is MORE deadly than cyanide.

Only takes a matter of minutes before respiratory paralysis (well, actually full central nervous system paralysis) takes over. If a buddy with a Johnson pak isn't dragging your ass out within 10 minutes at levels over 250 ppm, you're dead.

P.S. Hydrogen sulfide is the greatest danger in the oilfield.

[Edited on 26-12-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Could this be possible that such high numbers all the way around that it was just localized to one explosion. You would have also figured that at this time some type of image would have be put out as to indicated what might have happened. Unless there is some other reason for them wanting to be so vague.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well, not to minimize this. But gas well blow outs do happen. And if you are working with a sourgas, the potential for a blow-out is even greater. H2S is HIGHLY corrosive to metals and just eats safety valves and casings and such away...kind of like a worm ate them.

Another thing is - how do I want to put this. China has not had a a good record at safety and quality in their oilfield work. They tend to jerry-rig stuff, go low cost/low quality.

If the truth be known, they probably had no type of blow-out prevention equipment installed on this well.

I bet we find that out after the thing is brought under control.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here's a real good visual example of the effects of hydrogen sulfide on metal:

Courtesy of OSHA

www.osha.gov...

new topics

top topics

join