It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making soap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I always wanted to make soap. There is something about old technology that fascinates me as it seems to be a lost art yet some things are quite simple.

I am just getting into this craft/hobby and am posting in a soap-specific forum about my experiences and ideas, but thought I would share my most recent page of dealing with impure chemicals in the making process.

Generally, I hope people who know about making soap on ATS/BTS will find this thread and start a discussion and dialogue.

Also, anyone who knows about chemistry I would be interested in hearing about reactions and notations.

Here is a link to my process of what not to do in using sources of lye:

Sudsy Errors

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I tried once a long, long time ago, and I don't think it really worked for me. I don't think I cooked it enough or something....

Anyway, I actually was reading a bit about this on some random website lately and apparently it's harder to make now since Red Devil no longer make pure NaOH lye that's easily purchased in grocery stores/hardware stores/etc.

As far as the chemistry, the basic premise is to make a big chemical molecule that has both hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts so itt can dissolve both water-soluble and fat-soluble dirt and wash it all away with water. Of course the exact chemistry depends on what type of fat and lye you use.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
As far as the chemistry, the basic premise is to make a big chemical molecule that has both hydrophilic and hydrophobic parts so itt can dissolve both water-soluble and fat-soluble dirt and wash it all away with water. Of course the exact chemistry depends on what type of fat and lye you use.

In a non-technical way, I half-way understand that. I read something about the molecules and the uniqueness of how they bind with oil and water and does a sort of flip flop. I know there are different bases and of course a lot of different fatty acids. I was wondering if someone could notate the reaction of the drain cleaner for me in water. I have the rough percentages of the weights and such and just need someone to figure out the reaction as I would like to post it on that site so I can show how the solution isn't sutable for using in soap-making.

But, it seems pretty easy that you just take lye and combine it with fats and oils and let the stuff cure. I bought the wrong stuff and decided to just see what happens for educational purposes. Now you have to buy lye from sources in bulk and have your entire identity scrutinized (just kidding), to get the stuff...but I will eventually get my hands on it.

Imagine families used to make soap all the time as a matter of general necessity.

[edit on 18-3-2007 by ben91069]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The only think I know about soap and the best thing is that nitro glicerine can be extracted if you want to blow stuff up.
Now thta would be fun.
You be carefull while making it...

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I found thisi animated GIF showing the simplified chemical reaction:

top topics

join