It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS San Juan in the Bermuda Triangle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hi I'm trying to find out more info about the USS San Juan a Los Angeles Nuclear Sub that went "missing" for ten hours between Mar 13 and Mar 14.
I can't find what its coordinates were other than it was off the coast of Florida. I'm trying to see if it was in the Bermuda Triangle. I think it would be very interesting if it was.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If a US Nuclear Sub went 'missing' for a few hours than I am wondering how the captain screwed up that badly. SSNs and SSBNs are supposed to go missing for 6 month periods at a time, or any time they submerge. who says the sub was missing in the first place?

I'm sure nothing happened to the sub in any paranormal way.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
That may be a bit of a problem, especially if it is still on active duty. Such movements would be classified, and thus you would have a legal battle uphill to get any information. I also know that the US military refuses to admit publically to anything supernatural events. Privately, that is another story.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It seemed to a be a big deal to the US Navy when it happend.

Here's some news excerpts.

By LUIS MARTINEZ

March 14, 2007 — The Navy mobilized a search-and-rescue operation Tuesday night after it believed one of its submarines, the USS San Juan, had gone missing off the coast of Florida with 140 crew members aboard.

Communications were re-established early this morning, and it all appears to have been a case of miscommunication.

The concern was so high that Defense Secretary Robert Gates was notified of the situation overnight, as was White House national security adviser Stephen Hadley, who was preparing to brief President Bush with the news when communications were re-established with the missing submarine.

The Navy had also begun notifying the families of the 140 crew members that the submarine was missing. The incident is under investigation with the focus being on why the ship missed a pre-established communications period with surface ships.

Communications with the submarine were first lost at 7 p.m. Tuesday and were finally re-established by 5 a.m. today. The ship reported no problems, and both crew and officers were unaware of the effort under way to locate them.

Navy officials say the search was launched after surface ships spotted what appeared to be a red flare in the vicinity of where the submarine had been operating. A red flare is an indicator that a ship is in distress. With the loss of communications, a search-and-rescue effort was immediately launched. (Note: Red flare? The Sub crew said they had no problems? Maybe I should put this in the UFO forum.)

The Navy also notified the International Submarine Escape and Rescue Liaison Office, based in Norfolk, Va. ISMERLO contacts international partners to deploy rescue systems in the event of a submarine accident.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Here's some interesting stuff about the San Juan.

San Juan is a primary testing platform for new, advanced systems being developed by the Navy.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Anything to do with the Bermuda Triangle interests me,

I remember hearing about this and i did some searching a while back, Ill try dig up some links later,

interesting topic,

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Great post boydus!certainly a icbm capable sub missing is news.but one missing for any amount of time in triangle is VERY interesting.good job

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Some additional info from Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org...(SSN-751)

It seems this same vessel was involved in a collision with another submarine nearly a decade ago off the coast of Long Island, New York. At the time, the two were engaged in a joint training drill prior to each being deployed. Though there was some damage to both subs, no one had been injured. I'm certainly not attributing anything paranormal to either of these events especially as I'm sure things like that occur during training drills a fair amount of time. I just thought it was an interesting part of this vessel's history.

Also, I'd really like to know if they thought they spotted the flare that was mentioned before or after they had lost communications. I only say that because if it was afterward, I'd imagine they'd be very sensitive to any activity in the area even if it were not, in anyway, related to the vessel.

Just some thoughts.

[edit on 17-3-2007 by trek315]

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The funny thing about that red flare is that in the story the crew apparently didnt launch it. The crew had no idea that communications had been lost.

So we have a bright red object over an area where the sub should be that is spotted by the surface Carrier Battle Group which converged on the location thinking it was a flare. At the same time the Sub loses communications. Something seems quite odd about this. Facts and stories arn't making sense.

I would really like to find out the deal with this "Red Flare".

new topics

top topics

join