It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian 7.62x39mm finally back at full production.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Link for the SKS firing pin upgrade, personally I wouldn't shoot an SKS without one, as stated previously, runaway SKS' have killed people.

www.murraysguns.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XphilesPhan

$236 for a 1000 rounds here.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
man.. when i first got my sks i got 1000 rounds for 100 bucks

also i'd like to say that my sks also suffers from the soft primer hit syndrome. i read the link about the firing pin upgrade, but that seems to remedy uncontrolable slam fire sessions, will it also fix the soft primer hit problem?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Wow!!!

Have any of you purchased 7.62x39mm ammunition lately. Until today I havent purchased any in about three weeks.

I bought 200 rounds today at my local gun shop and it came to $75.00 dollars. Thats 10 boxes of Wolf ammo at $7.50 per box. This ammo most certainly has gone up significantly the last year. It has more than doubled in price. When I began buying it it was something like $2.40 per box for Wolf.

I checked at Midway USA and it is between 4 and 5 dollars per box.

Time to consider reloading for this caliber. I am thinking it is going to go up again. The days of cheap ammo in this caliber are over.

If you have any set back you might want to husband this dearly.

Orangetom

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Wow!!!

Have any of you purchased 7.62x39mm ammunition lately. Until today I havent purchased any in about three weeks.

I bought 200 rounds today at my local gun shop and it came to $75.00 dollars. Thats 10 boxes of Wolf ammo at $7.50 per box. This ammo most certainly has gone up significantly the last year. It has more than doubled in price. When I began buying it it was something like $2.40 per box for Wolf.

I checked at Midway USA and it is between 4 and 5 dollars per box.

Time to consider reloading for this caliber. I am thinking it is going to go up again. The days of cheap ammo in this caliber are over.

If you have any set back you might want to husband this dearly.

Orangetom

Hey Tom, how ya doin?

I am saving the Silver Bear that has turned out to shoot very well in my SKS.

I bought some brown box Wolf at the local swap meet for $25. per six boxes a couple months back.

The local gun show last weekend had the same for $5. per box.
Bought four.

Maybe I'll have to buy some brass and dig out the reloading stuff.
I'm not gonna try and reload the steel cased stuff.

If I'm remembering right and not counting the price of the brass, I think $15. would net 100 rounds.
Bullets, primers, powder.
Even $20. per 100 wouldn't be too tough price-wise.

Kinda wished I would have had the SKS or the 44 mag with me a couple days back.
Ran into a couple of open range bulls, big ones and really wild.

We were in a 4x4 when they came boiling up the road from a water tank.
And me with a 22 pistol packed away in a bag.

Pretty sure if we'd stopped they would have rammed the pickup.
These guys were in bad temper, scary and big enough to give a water buffalo a bad time.

We have deer and elk in the area, coyotes and mountan lions, but wild bulls was one I hadn't thought about.

We were doing a little scouting for an upcoming 4x4 trip and trying to find a trail head that up till now had eluded us.

I like small bore rifles, 6mm being a favorite and the SKS is the largest bore rifle I own.
Now I'm thinking a 458 Winchester would be about right....

[edit on 15-2-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Hey Dawg,

DOing ok here. Working long hours and not much time for shooting but when I have time and moolah..I purchase some ammo and put it back. I have some of the Silver bear ammo ..not much but some. I didnt know , However, that this stuff shoots better than the standard Wolf. I will keep a eye out for this brand.

I have put back some reloading materials for this caliber..brass and bullets but thinking I'd better stock up on some more. Agree...at increasing prices...even $20 per hundred would be tolerable.
I too have no intrest in reloading the steel cases. I have reloaded a few steel .45 ACP cases and they are difficult enough. I dont do this anymore. Bottle nose steel cases would be harder to reload. Also this stuff is Berdan primed..verses boxer primed. More difficult to decapp. I think you have to obtain a special decapper for this type of ammo. Ive never seen one have you??

With the weakening of the US Dollar and the war continuing..I dont see anything but demand and increasing prices for this ammo.

LOL LOL..458...free range bulls..yes..i think that would be a match. Sounds like they are somewhat territorial...or at least dont tolerate what they consider outsiders or intruders. Do you run into them often there in Arizona??

Gotta get ready for work Dawg. Overtime tonight.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Hey Dawg,

DOing ok here. Working long hours and not much time for shooting but when I have time and moolah..I purchase some ammo and put it back. I have some of the Silver bear ammo ..not much but some. I didnt know , However, that this stuff shoots better than the standard Wolf. I will keep a eye out for this brand.

I have put back some reloading materials for this caliber..brass and bullets but thinking I'd better stock up on some more. Agree...at increasing prices...even $20 per hundred would be tolerable.
I too have no intrest in reloading the steel cases. I have reloaded a few steel .45 ACP cases and they are difficult enough. I dont do this anymore. Bottle nose steel cases would be harder to reload. Also this stuff is Berdan primed..verses boxer primed. More difficult to decapp. I think you have to obtain a special decapper for this type of ammo. Ive never seen one have you??

With the weakening of the US Dollar and the war continuing..I dont see anything but demand and increasing prices for this ammo.

LOL LOL..458...free range bulls..yes..i think that would be a match. Sounds like they are somewhat territorial...or at least dont tolerate what they consider outsiders or intruders. Do you run into them often there in Arizona??

Gotta get ready for work Dawg. Overtime tonight.

Thanks,
Orangetom

I hear ya on the long hours . . . useta have to do a lot of them when we were short of personnel at the power station which is a 24/7 operation.

I forget all the details, but I have a Berdan decapper.
Made by one of the big reloaders.
Perhaps Lee, but the one I have may be RCBS since I tend to buy their stuff.
Got a few Hornaday dies and they're quite good as well.

Seems like there is a reamer to finish the job.
One of your reloading manuals will probably tell you whats required.

If you get some brass from one of the big manufacturers through Midway or the like, it should have standard primer pockets.

I haven't really compared how well one 7.62 x 39mm ammo shoots target-wise against the other.
More of a what functions dependably in my SKS deal.

I think when the war winds down enough to start pulling troops out of Iraq there will be a flood of 7.62 x 39mm and 223 on the civilian market.

No on the bulls.
First time I'd seen them.
I've seen free-range herds, but never run up against a lone bull, let alone two.
I thought they tended to be loners, but perhaps not unless they're involved with a herd and setting up their harem.

Stumble onto one of those guys on foot and I'm pretty sure your number would be up.

Next time the 22 stays home and the 44 mag gets to go....

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
hehehehohohoho!!!!!!
I really can't believe, in the current climate, how many are so eager to declare their firearm preferences and ownership in a public, very well watched, forum.
Oh well.

BTW. excellent on the improved supply.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox
hehehehohohoho!!!!!!
I really can't believe, in the current climate, how many are so eager to declare their firearm preferences and ownership in a public, very well watched, forum.
Oh well.

BTW. excellent on the improved supply.

Ya kinda lost me there.

You mean the 6mm or the 7.62 x 39mm?

Doesn't seem to make much difference to me.
The gov't knows where the legally purchased guns are anyway.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ugh Wolf ammo is junk. it's very DIRTY... I didn't think it was Corrosive though from what I read.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by XD45Tactical
Ugh Wolf ammo is junk. it's very DIRTY... I didn't think it was Corrosive though from what I read.

I wouldnt worry to much about dirty Wolf ammo. Not in my SKS or in a AK type rifle. They are designed for it. Also if one cleans ones tools it is never a problem. I clean my tools regularly even with American made ammo. I dont leave them sit around for weeks before cleaning.

One of the dirtiest Reloading powder I use ..is Bullseye. I use it because it works across a wide number of calibers...but it is noticably dirty. No problem however...if you clean when you get done shooting.

I use the Wolf ammo because it is cheap/inexpensive...well not anymore.
I will probably start reloading my own if this continues much longer.

Keep them in the X ring,
Orangetom

[edit on 23-2-2008 by orangetom1999]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join