It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Time to Destroy Chemical Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Mikhail Gorbachev's speech to the Belgian Senate ,Wednesday 22 November 2000

Brussels, November, 2000�Mikhail Gorbachev, president of the global environmental organization Green Cross, called today (Wednesday, 22 November) for the destruction of huge stockpiles of chemical weapons worldwide, specifically in Russia and the United States.

"The continued existence of these enormous, dangerous and costly stockpiles is a threat to all of us," said the former President of the Soviet Union, who was invited to address the Belgian Senate on the subject.

"Nerve gases, mustard gas, lewisite and other dangerous chemical agents kill indiscriminately, especially when they are detonated by terrorist groups in public places or leak from stockpile sites and drift downwind. These old arsenals also constitute serious public health and environmental hazards to local communities. But our main concern must be global security. The proliferation threat is real. Many of them are small enough to fit into a backpack yet powerful enough to kill thousands. Moreover, they are vulnerable to theft and diversion.

"I wrote recently to around 40 national leaders in Europe and the Americas, among them the President of the Belgian Senate, Armand De Decker, asking them to join me in an international campaign to rid the world once and for all time of these hideous weapons," Gorbachev went on.

www.gci.ch...

posted on Nov, 25 2002 @ 06:17 AM
link   
good call. any decrease in these sorts of weapons would be a step forward. though i doubt the americans would ever do so ...

- qo.

posted on Nov, 25 2002 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by quiet one
good call. any decrease in these sorts of weapons would be a step forward. though i doubt the americans would ever do so ...

- qo.

USA stock chem weapons are just the 2 third of the Russians stock CW.

Anyway, Gorbi can play to the good guy if he want. Don't forget that he started a new bio-chem weapons program in 1984 for the Red Army.

join