It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Select Plan for New Nuclear Warhead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Feds Select Plan for New Nuclear Warhead

Source Link: www.breitbart.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration selected a design Friday for a new generation of atomic warheads, taking a major step toward building the first new nuclear weapon since the end of the Cold War two decades ago.
The military and the Energy Department selected a design developed by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California over a competing design by the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, according to government sources who spoke on condition of anonymity in advance of a formal announcement.

The decision to move ahead with the warhead, which eventually would replace the existing arsenal of weapons, has been criticized as sending the wrong signal to the world at a time when the United States is assailing attempts at nuclear weapons development in North Korea and Iran and striving to contain it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
We need this like we need another bush in the white house.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
We need this like we need another bush in the white house.

Wow, that’s a real intelligent comment.

Perhaps we should simply dismantle our entire military machine so just anyone and everyone can overrun us whenever they feel frisky enough to do so.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Oh please spare me. Even without nuclear weapons we have the most powerful military machine in the world, no one comes close, even if they have more troops.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Oh please spare me. Even without nuclear weapons we have the most powerful military machine in the world, no one comes close, even if they have more troops.

I agree with you on that note but nukes are so terrifying to any reasonable, logical person that it makes them think twice before trying something stupid. That is exactly why there was never a nuclear exchange between the U.S. and the Soviets. However, we need to retain a reliable stockpile to keep our enemies thinking twice.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
We arent building more nuclear weapons, we are replacing the old ones. I dont know about anybody else but id rather have safe new neukes than old ones that may end up failing or worse.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
We arent building more nuclear weapons, we are replacing the old ones.

Yep, that's what the story says:

Advocates for the warhead say it would give military commanders greater assurance of reliability and could speed the reduction of the deployed number of nuclear warheads from 6,000 to fewer than 2,000 by 2012.

of course, just because they're not deployed doesn't mean we don't have them any more.

If we have "X" number of warheads, and they build "Y" more, X+Y>X. Basic algebra.
So 6000+Y can not =2000.

Unless Bushco is re-writing math along with the constitution, of course.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Nuclear warheads don't last forever, they do have a limited shelf lif.

So these will indeed be replacing warheads of older design as they are dismantled.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Doesn't this move, violate some UN resolution?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Nuclear warheads don't last forever, they do have a limited shelf life.

I had no idea, but you're 100% right about that.
That would alter the math a little.
warhead shelf-life

top topics

join