It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill would mandate nicer term for illegals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Bill would mandate nicer term for illegals

Source Link: www.news-press.com

TALLAHASSEE -- A state legislator whose district is home to thousands of Caribbean immigrants wants to ban the term "illegal alien" from the state's official documents.

"I personally find the word 'alien' offensive when applied to individuals, especially to children," said Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami. "An alien to me is someone from out of space."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well here you go. We can't even label someone that is here illegally as an illegal alien anymore. It may pertain to government documents for now but it will eventually trickle down to everyone else. Our first amendment right to freedom speech is being shaved down to nothing day by day. Soon we will have nothing.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Oh Brother. Someone else who's so desperate to get their name in the headlines, that they start an absolute BS thing such as this. I mean come on, there is so much other burning topic news, like Anna Nicole, and Britney Spears. Gosh, with a headline like this, they might have to break in on the 24 hour a day/ 7 day a week coverage of Anna, and Britney.......(yeah like I wasn't sick of all that BS coverage after the first 30 minutes.)

What does dear Frederica propose instead of the term "Illegal Alien"?

Perhaps "Happy Long Term Visitors"?
Hey Wait! How about "Wonderful Citizen Wanna-Be's"?

Cut me a break.....

[edit on 28-2-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
For awhile there, we were going with "undocumented worker". That apparently didn't take.

I propose

1)Non-native freelancer not in accordance with the statutes
2)Personages of migratory habits contrary to the rules
3)Non-resident outlaws
4)Foreign born citizens of illicit circumstance
5)Unauthorized Foreign Occupants (UFO? No- too "alien")

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

That's great. I vote for # 5 - UFO - since we're already familiar with the term and the meaning.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MooneyBravo

TALLAHASSEE --"An alien to me is someone from out of space."

It figures that this individual doesn't understand English and, apparently, doesn't even own a dictionary.

"...[S]omeone from out of space," indeed.

How stupid can legislators get?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

That's great. I vote for # 5 - UFO - since we're already familiar with the term and the meaning.

I like #5 too. That just may catch on.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

TALLAHASSEE --"An alien to me is someone from out of space."

It figures that this individual doesn't understand English and, apparently, doesn't even own a dictionary.

"...[S]omeone from out of space," indeed.

I am sure they can get quite stupid. It is quite scary to think about sometimes. Do you really want to see them at their worst?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

We may never know.

I think we ought to push for the Unauthorized Foreign Occupant option, just so we can hear the senator say she's submitting a bill changing the language to UFO since that doesn't sound like someone from out of space.

(Damn, I crack me up).

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
THOUGHT CRIME. Another step destroying free speech and deleting words to destroy ideas. The new dictionnary of Big Brother has come out, with less words, less ideas, more productivity.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Couldn't this have implications on the tax code ?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
"UFO"

Seriously though... what a ridiculous suggestion. How's that going to make an illegal alien feel any better after they've been kicked out of the country? "Well.... they kicked me out, but at least they used a more pleasant language when doing so."

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Frederica Wilson, D-Miami. "An alien to me is someone from out of space."

Oh my.. I love the Dems.. always looking out for someones feelings!

That line I quoted should be the official statement for this states persons inteligence.

And the so called "neo-cons" are the crazy ones..
cant stop laughing..

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Wow. They don't wanna call them illegal aliens anymore when they are not here legally and they are foreign(alien) Gimme a break. If we have to change it I vote for #5 UFO
This legislator has some horrible grammar at that. I wonder if she wants to find a nicer term for illiterate as well

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
But what if they are actually from space and here without a visa? Why be so sensitive to non-earthly entities? I guess if they ever show up we'll have to call them undocumented extraterrestrials?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
I guess if they ever show up we'll have to call them undocumented extraterrestrials?

"Undocumented extraterrestrials"
That is the funniest thing I have seen all day. Maybe we could have a guest abduction program as well.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
I guess if they ever show up we'll have to call them undocumented extraterrestrials?

"Undocumented extraterrestrials"
That is the funniest thing I have seen all day. Maybe we could have a guest abduction program as well.

I think I saw in the news that the CIA is already conducting that program :p

Anyway, definition of "alien" from several official dictionary's:

1. Owing political allegiance to another country or government; foreign: alien residents.
2. Belonging to, characteristic of, or constituting another and very different place, society, or person; strange. See Synonyms at foreign.
3. Dissimilar, inconsistent, or opposed, as in nature: emotions alien to her temperament.
n.

A creature from outer space is called an alien because it has the same caracteristics as displaced human beings.
Not the other way around.

If this isn't a cry for attention from this lawmaker, I'm wondering wth is up with people that they vote such an idiot into office!

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
For awhile there, we were going with "undocumented worker". That apparently didn't take.

I propose

1)Non-native freelancer not in accordance with the statutes
2)Personages of migratory habits contrary to the rules
3)Non-resident outlaws
4)Foreign born citizens of illicit circumstance

OMG OMG I spit my coffe on # 4 and 5, dang it you made my way above, Kudos

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Petty legislators seem to be comming out of the woodwork these days. Some city council reps want to ban 'the n-word'. Yeah, good luck collecting the fines from Fidy Cent.
And another nitwit wants to ban using a walkman or talking on the phone WHILE WALKING.

SOmeone needs to tell these morons that they don't have the authority to enact these laws.

Indeed, what do they think 'alienate' means? To become short, gray skinned and develop big eyes?

BWA HAHAHAHA!

Ahem. That was quite drole.

top topics

join