It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood Red Skies Over North Texas! (Video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
My location is in Arkansas as opposed to Texas. I just kind of thought this thread was about posting our experiences I didn't think it was trying to say too much about anything. In my few years of living here it has been my first time of seeing a dust storm. I thought it was pretty amazing and I moved here from Vegas, I've seen true sand storms.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Heres a photo I took as it came in to north dallas.

- NSBiz

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

Originally posted by Hal9000
Either you have never seen War of the Worlds or you are UFOphobic. Did I just make up a new word?

One thing is certain Libra, you can't take a joke.

I have never seen the new War of the Worlds (hate Tom Cruise), and I am defintely not UFOphobic.

Who said anything about Tom Cruise??

Ohh, you mean the ridiculous 2005 movie adaption of H.G Well's The War of the Worlds...

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I live south of Dallas, and it was extremely red here. It was just this red haze, not sure if it was cloudy, dusty or what.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yeah,I live in Waco and the sky got pretty weird looking here as well, about 5 o'clock. I heard that it was caused from a combination of a fire at fort hood and a dust storm..
But it did look very weird here.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
the libra I loved your video. It was very cute. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I really liked it.

Look What the Wind Blew In

Winds gusting up to 60 mph whipped North Texas on Saturday afternoon, kicking up enough dust in places to turn the sky orange.

In New Mexico, Spring (the windy season) is coming early this year. The weather is pretty freaky all over, I agree.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
When I saw the title I immediatly thought of this occurence in India...

en.wikipedia.org...

Who knows perhaps the same phenomena with less humidity

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
(g) I'm a fellow Texan. Lived here for 43 years. I live here in the Dallas area (have for about 25 years.)

Ah, sorry, I thought you lived in Lubbock. Good to know you're a fellow Texan. Probably explains why we've gotten along so well over the years here.

I've noticed milder duststorms here in Dallas over the years. Not as strong as this, but they've been here.

Right, no I can definitely agree there. Seems at least once every couple of months we get a front that pushes all the dust and pollen from miles around directly into my nose and throat. But normally its either invisible, hazy, or yellowish. This was the first time I'd ever seen the skies turn red though and blot out the sun in the middle of the day.

Found a document from the 1930's that talks about the range and impact of Texas sandstorms that you might find amusing. One of the old photos shows a REAL sandstorm in Big Spring (where we lived for many years). Brought back memories for me! :
docs.lib.noaa.gov...

Looks like that scene in Independence Day... Good Lord!
I wonder what ours looked like from a distance before it hit.

That said, yes, our climate is changing and yes we need to be concerned about it. But what we need to look for is the large patterns and not the single incidents.

Errr... well, isn't a pattern established out of single incidents?

I'm really curious what the climatic changes are going to be in this area. I mean, Texas has pretty volatile weather in general, and neither summer nor winter have ever been particularly kind here. We're definitely seeing the beginnings of real change though, and I hope to god it's for the better.

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth

Originally posted by thelibra
I have never seen the new War of the Worlds (hate Tom Cruise), and I am defintely not UFOphobic.

Ohh, you mean the ridiculous 2005 movie adaption of H.G Well's The War of the Worlds...

Right, hence the use of the word "new" in my sentence. I saw the old movie a long time ago, and I heard the radio program, but I don't remember red skies in them. Of course that was when I was still a kid, so it might be there and I just don't remember. Regardless, I still hate Tom Cruise.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
the libra I loved your video. It was very cute. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I really liked it.

Thanks for the compliment. I know it's not as groundbreaking as a UFO or Bigfoot, or something like that, but I figured as long as I had the ability to verify the time of day and do a color check, and then show the sky in one continuous take, it would lend credibility. And like I said, credibility on ATS is everything.

Heh... if you look carefully before the color check, you can see the bathroom I've been remodelling for upwards of 3 months now. That's why the toilet is in the tub.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
In New Mexico, Spring (the windy season) is coming early this year. The weather is pretty freaky all over, I agree.

You know, come to think of it, our windy season has started early too. The "Red Skies" day was about the 3rd or 4th wind advisory day this year, and those don't usually start till around April I think.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Yup, that was purty good dust up alright!

That's about the best one I've seen since I was in the OKC area in the late '80s. We had one up there that was absolutely dust bowl looking. A huge wall of dirt with about 40mph winds behind it came through and it was nothing nice! There was dirt and dust in everything for the next week.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Dust bowl days are here again. March will roar in like a lion and the sun turns blue too.

BLUE SUN: You've heard of a blue moon, but what about a blue sun? On Feb. 24th in Watauga, Texas, "we were having an unusual dust storm. I looked up and the sun shining through the dust was blue," reports photographer Tom King. "It was quite a surprise!"

Truly, dust can turn the sun blue. But it takes a special kind of dust. All the grains in the cloud must be about the same size and, for maximum blue, should measure about 1 millionth of a meter across. This makes the air behave like a blue filter.

The ground vegetation from the last year's record Texas drought and no crops planted yet would explain the high dust levels. Tornado season is off to a good start too.

Here's a photo from my neck of the woods. They call this a haboob:

2005 dust storm rides the Superstition Freeway - Arizona

[edit on 27-2-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
While researching an answer in another thread, I came across this page on the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality website. It lists 2007 events, including pollution from the fire mentioned earlier in the thread.

Check it out:
www.tceq.state.tx.us...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join