It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Chinese government/military's current connection to SunTzu's Art of War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Often times I hear people mention that the Chinese still use SunTzu's Art of War in waging warefare against others and in determining what foreign policy will be. My question is does anyone know if the Chinese officials really use this ancient book to still facilitate some of their strategies? Next question, can anyone show me a specific example where the Chinese are employing it? Finally, are the Chinese the only country to use this text in determining international policy.

www.chinapage.com...

I think it is important for us to try to assess the larger implications of the Middle East War and I think those implications would have to include the larger players such as China and Russia. Are those two countries orchestrating the problems currently in the Middle East?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I would imagine they definately have some kind of intelligence present, as most countries would. They would require some kind of first line intel on US forces, maybe even the insurgency if they have plans to become directly involved in the ME in the future.

Ive never read the Art of War, though I would like to, so I cant give any insight there.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Every war college in every country uses this as a basic text.

There are many translations, I prefer James Clavells version.

A point that needs clarification: Chinese authors did not claim authorship in 500 BC. The unknown author, or editor, attributed the book to Sun Tzu, an unknown individual he chose to honor.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is recommended reading in business also. It shows you and give you insight into how to use basic knowledge to know what and enemy is doing. The US should have applied it a little more in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I don't know. But my dad told me that the SunTzu's Art of War was so brilliant that the U.S used it in the Gulf war. Not sure, whether that was true. But I truly believed the SunTzu's Art of War is a astonishing strategy guide.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Although I have no links to the subject, from what I know of the Chinese people this book is used not only for warfare but bussiness, international relations and even personal relations. I have been reading this book now for almost 30 years now and recomend it to everyone. It is also used by the Japanese along with a book called the book of five rings, written by Miyamoto Masashi. I have been told that the art of war is requried reading at Langley(cia)

top topics

join